How to move almost all Android apps to SD card (no root required)

[Update – May 2013] To see whether this procedure may work on your phone, check out the new post [Follow up] List of phones that work with “How to move almost all apps to SD card” procedure and comments to this post. Please note that this procedure does NOT work on the best selling Samsung Galaxy S3. [/Update]

[Update – March 2013] To help fellow Android users know whether this procedure will work on their phone, please submit this anonymous form (link: Google Forms) indicating whether it worked for you. Thanks! [/Update]

One of the most anticipated additions to Android 2.2 (aka Froyo) was ability to install applications to SD card, because it helps to free internal memory. When internal phone memory gets full, Android users have two problems: 1) users can’t install any more apps and 2) phone starts working slowly. The slow down is caused by the lower speed of disk write operations to the internal memory (see this post for more information on this topic), but the bottom line is that having low available space in the internal memory is not desirable.

So what should a user do when Android phone is running out of internal memory? Uninstalling rarely used apps is an obvious and easiest solution. Moving apps that support Froyo’s apps2sd feature to SD card is another option. However, for this feature to work developers need to enable apps2sd in their apps and unfortunately many large apps still do not support it.

It turns out there is a hack that lets you move almost any Android app to SD card, even if the app developer did not enable this option. And the best part: obtaining root is not required for this to work. More about this hack below, but first let’s take look at the limitations of the Android apps2sd feature.

Apps2sd limitations

Apps2sd functionality is a step in the right direction. However, the way it is implemented creates some restrictions which you should know about:

• When an app is moved to SD card, portion of that app still remains in the internal phone memory. On average, you can expect that application’s footprint in the phone memory will be reduced by a factor of 2. Note that for some apps the move will save less than 50%, e.g. Google Earth size in the internal memory reduces from 20.5 MB to 15MB, Adobe Flash Player 10.1 – from 12.4 MB to 8 MB.
  • If you use an app widget on your home screen, this app should not be moved to SD card, because the widget will stop working.
  • Android OS doesn’t have any batch tools to move all movable apps to SD card at once. You will need to manually move one app at a time by going through the list of installed apps in Settings->Applications->Manage Applications.
  • System apps such as Maps and Youtube cannot be moved to SD card using stock firmware on unrooted phone. On some phones Adobe Flash Player is pre-installed as a system app and also cannot be moved. Providers may also install bloatware as system apps, which also cannot be moved on unrooted phone. However, on a rooted phone system apps can be deleted or moved – see FAQ for details.
  • If you re-flash phone’s firmware, some backup applications may not restore your apps to SD card, but will restore them to the phone memory.

Despite these restrictions, moving apps to SD card is a good way to free up internal phone memory and speed up your Android phone.

Moving (almost) all Android apps to SD card

To run commands which will enable Move to SD card button for most installed apps, you need to have adb executable on your computer. Adb stands for Android Debug Bridge and is used for Android software development, but it is a very useful tool to have for any advanced Android user. You do not need to have a rooted phone to run adb commands.

1. To download the latest version of Android SDK (which includes adb executable), follow instructions from step 2 in the Installing the SDK article from the official Android development site. Note: you do not need to install any other software such as Eclipse for this procedure.
  2. After downloading the archive of the SDK, unzip it to any folder and remember its location (let’s call this folder <sdk>).
  3. If you are installing Android SDK on Windows machine, you also need to install USB driver as described in USB driver for Windows section.
  4. Connect the phone using USB cable and do not enable USB storage mode. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.
  5. Start terminal window on your computer (on Windows: click Start, type “cmd” and press Enter).
  6. In the terminal window, navigate to folder containing file named “adb” (<sdk>\platform-tools folder) using this command: cd “full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” (replace “full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” with an actual path as shown in the screenshot below).
  7. Type the following lines (case sensitive) in the terminal window and press Enter after each line:
    • adb devices
      • This checks that the phone is connected and is in the correct mode. You should see one entry in the list of the attached devices. If you get “device not found” error, see Troubleshooting section below.
    • adb shell
      • If you get “cannot find file” error and are using Mac or Linux, instead type: ./adb shell
    • pm set-install-location 2
      • (If this command doesn’t work try using the “old” command: pm setInstallLocation 2. Thanks to polosco for the tip.)
    • exit

Command prompt commands on Windows

8. Now on your phone go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications.
    • If you have Android 2.3 or later, click on USB Storage tab (may be called SD card). This tab shows a list of apps that either can be installed to SD card or are already on SD card. The ones that have checkbox on the right side are already moved to SD card (credit to Michael Scully for the tip).
    • On Android 2.2 and earlier if you don’s see USB Storage or SD Card tab, click on All tab.
    • Android USB storage tab

9. Press hardware Menu button and select Sort by Size.
  10. Tap on each app that is taking significant amount of space and tap Move to SD card button. Press hardware Back button and repeat.
  11. (optional) To change the default installation location for new apps back to the internal phone memory,  go back to your terminal window and type:
    • pm setInstallLocation 0
  12. (important) Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and disable USB debugging. Leaving USB debugging enabled makes your phone vulnerable (e.g. lock pattern can be reset).
  13. Enjoy!
Moving Android Adobe Flash player 10.1 to SD card (apps2sd)

Moving Android Adobe Flash player 10.1 to SD card (apps2sd)

Share your experience (optional, but greatly appreciated)

To help fellow Android users know whether this procedure will work on their phone, please submit this form (link: Google Forms) indicating whether it worked for you or not. Once sufficient number of responses is submitted, I will update this post with the results.

• “Device not found” error in step 7. Make sure that the phone is connected and is in the USB debugging mode (step 4). On Windows, this error can also mean the driver is not installed properly. Double check that you followed USB driver for Windows steps. If you still are getting this error, try installing a driver for your manufacturer from this link:  Tether “ADB” Driver Installation for Windows.
  • “Permission denied” error: make sure that you correctly typed commands.

• Q: Does my phone need to be rooted for this hack to work?
    • A: No.
  • Q: Do I need to setup a full development environment (Java, Eclipse) for this to work?
    • A: No.
  • Q: Can I move systems apps such as Maps, Youtube, Adobe Flash Player to SD card?
    • A: On unrooted phone using stock firmware, no.
  • Q: I don’t have time for this hack. How can I check which of my installed apps officially support moving to SD card?
    • Install “App 2 SD” application from Android Market and it will list applications for which developers enabled apps2sd support.
  • Q: Can I move all apps to SD card in one operation?
    • A: Using stock firmware, no. If you know a way to do so, please let me know in the comments.
  • Q: Can I delete bloatware apps installed as “system apps” by the carriers?
    • Yes, but only if you root your device. With a rooted phone you could delete unused system apps, but it gets a bit complicated. Deleting some apps may cause problems with subsequent OS updates, so you should be careful. See this list for Android system apps can be safely removed. Instead of deleting, you can “freeze” unused system apps using Titanium Backup. Freezing an app will remove it from the app drawer and memory and will make sure it is never launched, but it will not free any space in the internal phone storage.
  • Q: Can I move system apps such as Gmail, Google Maps to SD card on a rooted phone?
    • A: Thanks to Dominique Tardif for this tip: “You have first to uninstall any updates to the system apps in question. Second, using a rooted file manager, delete the original apk from /system/app (android keeps the system app apart from the updates, the latter being at /data/apps). Once this is done, reboot and reinstall the app from the market. It will be installed as a user app and as such will be movable to the sd card. As an example, my gmail, facebook, maps etc. are all on my sd card now.”
  • Q: Can I move system apps to SD card if I’m using a custom ROM?
    • A: Yes. The most popular “aftermarket” Android firmware CyanogenMod puts the absolute minimum of the apps in the system folder. CyanogenMod 7 also by default enables the hack described in this post to allow most apps to be movable to SD card. As a result, many Android apps such as Maps, Youtube, Gmail can be moved to SD card on CyanogenMod 7, while they are unmovable to SD in the stock firmware. Note that to install CyanogenMod the phone doesn’t need to be rooted, but bootloader needs to be unlocked.

Source: XDA-developers.

Related posts

If you enjoyed this post, you can subscribe to the RSS feed or follow via Twitter and Facebook.
This entry was posted in Android, Apps, CyanogenMod, FroYo, Gingerbread, How To. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Branko
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Works like a charm on SE Xperia mini pro!

2. Steve
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

I need help guys, first I’m not new to DOS commands but still intermediate when it comes to Android. I have a rooted Samsung GT-I5500m with a stock ROM (Eclair 2.1 update 1) , I installed the latest JDK, and Android SDK on my PC. Followed the procedures here, device is shown when using the adb device command but my issue here is that whenever i would use “pm setInstallLocation 2” or the “pm set-install-location 2”, it keeps on saying that it is not a recognized internal/external command. I checked the folder that contains the adb.exe (mine was under the platform tool folder on my PC) and it seems like there’s no executable file for this command(s), or is it already contained within the adb.exe?

And just wondering, why is it that my adb UI starts with the # sign rather than $ sign? Is there a difference? Is it because my phone is already rooted?

Looking forward to some professional advice, thanks.

3. Lola
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Didn’t Freaking Work.
    I spent 3 hours trying to get this to work on my optimus.
    It didn’t do anything at all but waste my time.
    Just like a poster before me:

After I enter:

$ pm setInstallLocation 2

I get:
    pm setInstallLocation 2
    [1] Killed pm setInstallLocation 2

4. getcyy
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 7:42 am | Permalink

hey.. before doing this i tried the app you mentioned App-2-SD ,, after opening it it says you have
    “No movable apps found from storage” ,, does this means that i cant move any app tp sd card by doing the above mentioned steps? (apps i want to move to sd card & which are in phone memory, inbuilt apps like facebook, maps, google play & installed apps like app locker, voice recorder ,etc. )
    please reply asap, i have hardly 14Mb left! , Thank You.

5. Bradley Kisia
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 2:12 am | Permalink

The perfect solution without going too technical … Thanks sir!

6. getcyy
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 5:33 am | Permalink

it might b moving flash player n all but its not moving the main apps which i & lots of people wanted to move.. ,, facebook,Gmap,Gplay. Seems no option left other than rooting.. :( but anyway it was still v helpful. If any 1 have any other solution then plz let us know.

7. SMurro
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 8:21 am | Permalink

This is an absolute pisstake. Do Google really expect people to start downloading developer kits and fucking about with command lines to fix the biggest fuck up ever? What on Earth is the point on me having a 2Gb card that’s 90% empty, yet I can’t use my phone because my bloody text messages are taking up the TINY internal memory.

It’s a fucking disgrace.

8. Billu
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I am using Samsung Galaxy Y. I have done all the procedure till adb devices and finally the string “List of devices attached” is displayed but no device is shown below…
    Other 2 commands aren’t working. What shall i do….

9. Isaac
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Hi I’ve done everything up to typing in “adb devices”, but my phone doesn’t appear, I noticed it says look at troubleshooting if the device doesn’t appear but can’t find a solution.
    I have an Xperia Arc.
    Thanks for any help :)

10. umesh
    Posted August 1, 2012 at 3:23 am | Permalink

will this work for my htc explorer a310e?

11. oldman
    Posted August 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

This is a real downside to this amazing phone. I have one which is barely a week old and I already have the memory issues…

12. TheSmiao
    Posted August 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much, this is a good tutorial

13. Raltoshiba
    Posted August 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

does this method works on android 2.1 ?

14. zaid
    Posted August 4, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

wow dam cool man

15. See Toh Wai Kay
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

It didn’t work for me, here is my log.

C:\SDK\platform-tools>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    S5830882997b7 device

C:\SDK\platform-tools>pm set-install-location 2
    ‘pm’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\SDK\platform-tools>pm setInstallLocation 2
    ‘pm’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\SDK\platform-tools>pm setInstallLocation 2.
    ‘pm’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\SDK\platform-tools>adb shell
    $ pm set-install-location 2
    pm set-install-location 2
    Error: unknown command ‘set-install-location’

• ykp
      Posted August 13, 2012 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Try this command.
      pm setInstallLocation 2

• victor
        Posted September 2, 2012 at 5:32 am | Permalink

ykp, That was it.
        I used a Capital S in Set.

• Graham
      Posted August 21, 2012 at 6:28 am | Permalink

I think you missed ‘adb shell’

• Venkat
      Posted August 26, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

You have missed the adb shell command. The pm command works only inside the shell, not in the DOS prompt.

• struggler
      Posted August 27, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I get following as in See Toh Wai Kay:- on command “set-install-location 2” (or “setInstallLocation 2” the following message

“Error: unknown command setInstallLocation”

followed by a cmd blurb on usage etc.

16. red
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

my pc cannot detect my phone. when i typed “adb devices” there’s no items displayed. please help

• aboutpurpose
      Posted August 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

I have the same issue as you. I downloaded the updated drivers directly from my device’s website, but the command still yields no device connected. Did anyone respond to you?

• abhay kumar
      Posted September 6, 2012 at 3:34 am | Permalink

find your phone in device and printer,if there is a need of troubleshoot,then do will install the driver of your phone.after that retry this process.

17. Aaron Power
    Posted August 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

This worked Great! thank you!

• Prashant Pawar
      Posted August 27, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Dear Sir

please guide me as i m very week by dos knowledge. as i type cmd the window prompt showing c:\documents and settings\abd>:

onward i tried a lot by showing commands and instruction but i didn’t get it.
      please help me from very first. required drives and app software i already downloaded.

Thanks & Regards

Prashant Pawar

• abc
        Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Use – cd (space) dir – option in command prompt, it will provide list of all files. steps:-
        1) cd C:\
        2) cd program files\
        3) cd android\
        4) cd android-sdk\

18. janrei
    Posted August 10, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

anyone with an ICS os found it working?
    I successfully changed the install location as instructed but reinstalling the apps still won’t go to my external sd us too! :(

• Teresa Brown
      Posted August 21, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Same here! Got all the command prompts to work, detected the phone, none of my downloaded (not factory installed) apps will move to SD card!

• Teresa
        Posted August 21, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

HA just tried the command prompts again. WORKS LIKE A CHARM! You are a god sent. I can now start loving my Evo again. 😀 Happy day!

• johntheking
      Posted September 13, 2012 at 12:44 am | Permalink

ths threath is only for FROYO… thsi is why most probably is not working…

• Nilesh Tosniwal
      Posted May 7, 2013 at 12:36 am | Permalink

even on my lg l7 ice cream sandwich it didnt work.. all the commands were executed … but the apps keep installing in the internal storage .. please help

19. aboutpurpose
    Posted August 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I have the same issue as Red. I downloaded the updated drivers directly from my device’s website, but the command still yields no device connected. Anyone that can help?

20. nydame
    Posted August 14, 2012 at 1:31 am | Permalink

I was ready to throw my phone out of the window before I read this post. Even in 2012, the problem persists, and this is still useful. Thanks so much!!!

21. Jesper
    Posted August 14, 2012 at 4:14 am | Permalink

I have done everything as i should but i doesn’t seem to work. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with the newest android.

22. sadique
    Posted August 14, 2012 at 4:35 am | Permalink

sir, how to download USB driver for windows 7 of 32 bites???? plz help me!

23. Sunil
    Posted August 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

This is pure genius. Worked like a charm, brilliant!

24. kmvkrish
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 6:26 am | Permalink

Can i use the commands to my android 2.1 phone??
    Please reply me i want to xtend my rom space

25. Helena
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

THANKYOU!!!!! You just made my day! :)

26. meekmillz
    Posted August 17, 2012 at 6:32 am | Permalink

no luck on galaxy ace plus

27. rebwar
    Posted August 17, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

1 Million Thanks
    Only for you
    Great work , Good guide

28. kiran
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

when i type pm set installlocation 2.
    it gives me three options ,that are
    0 [auto] : let the system decide
    1 [internal]: install in internal device storage
    2[external]:install on external media
    then i choose 2 [external] but it tells me permission denied
    so plzz tell me what to do.

• yasmin
      Posted August 30, 2012 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Im having the same problem, did you ever figure it out?

• abc
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:24 am | Permalink

Please connect mobile as USB storage device. Once connected then complete action mentioned in command prompt. Mobile will reconnect as usb automatically.

29. Teddy
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Thank you very much. Because of Facebook and the GPS I had no more memory. So, every time I had to make an update it didn’t work. Thanks to you I have no more troubles.

Thank you again !

30. Anubhav Karanseth
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I completed the procedures successfully, but still the apps installed are taking up space on my 1 GB internal memory, even though i have 16 GB SD card. Please help me.

31. David
    Posted August 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

you know if this commands are compatible with Samsung Y pro GT-B5510L with android 2.3.6??
    thanks for your advice

32. Abhijit Purkayastha
    Posted August 20, 2012 at 2:13 am | Permalink

Hey thankzzzzzzzzzzz it really works

33. kankam prabhakar
    Posted August 21, 2012 at 7:06 am | Permalink

It is simply the best way… I loved it..I never though that it would work but it actually did. I am so happy..THANK YOU very much!

34. irina
    Posted August 21, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Thank you!! :)
    It works perfectly on SAMSUNG GALAXY MINI with Android 2.3.6

35. gerkikay
    Posted August 22, 2012 at 2:05 am | Permalink

worked for me! thanks!!!!!

36. speedbit
    Posted August 22, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

everything I’ve got with all this extensive and complicated work, for which I had to install several applications on my PC … Android SDK, Java 32bit (Win7 x64’s Previously installed Java, was not enough), specific Samsung ADB driver, etc. … is nothing elsa than what I can do with the Force2SD app.
    as far as I’m concerned, did not get any extra benefit by this method for my Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 (Android 2.3 clean, rooted ROM.-
    Thanks for the efforts, anyway =)

37. Sam
    Posted August 22, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

It worked like a charm. I didn’t want to root my phone, but this hack enabled me to move most of the big system apps which were creating big space problems. THANK YOU!

38. Pranav
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Thanks a lot dude, it worked on my HTC Explorer

39. Pranav
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 3:53 am | Permalink

This method just adds App2Sd functionality to all the apps.However significant portion of apps still remains in phone memory.It can help in saving only small amount of internal memory.

40. sourav
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Q: Is this only to see which apps r movable to SD or not ?
    Q: Is this same as App2sd app?

41. Lukas
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

I have a mac and unfortunately, I am struggling with typing in the correct path for step 6. What do I write?

42. hatem
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

i did everything and it shows me that the app is installed to the sd cart but the internal phone storage is decreased :/ please help !!

43. Kirk N
    Posted August 25, 2012 at 1:05 am | Permalink

LG Optimus S. Command setInstallLocation 2 gets me a [1] Killed response. Any fixes here? I’ve seen this posted several times with no response. Thanks in advance.

• cohrs2
      Posted September 18, 2012 at 5:08 am | Permalink

I get the same error, Kirk. I am also using the LG Optimus S. I’ve spent a lot of time looking for an anwer and still haven’t found one.

• codypet
        Posted September 19, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Same thing with me. LG Optimus S. I get the [1] Killed.

• jennylynn
          Posted September 21, 2012 at 12:11 am | Permalink

same here… optimus slider. getting the “killed” response. >_>

44. Posted August 25, 2012 at 7:16 am | Permalink

45. Venkat
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Worked like a charm! Thanks for this article!

46. Sameh
    Posted August 28, 2012 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Was very helpful. Thanks.
    (Just please change the “unzipping” thing in step 2. It confused me as it no longer exists.)

Great Job !

47. sean.v
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:48 am | Permalink

so many thanks for the tip, Sergey. just awesome.

for anyone who is having trouble, start here

and read this

if you’re having problems on the last step, try the old command like the instructions say so!!

48. Muff
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

this hasn’t allowed me to move any or install apps to my SD card that I couldn’t already move/install on there

49. Muff
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

okay, figured it out (or at least for me) After completing the “pm set-install-location 2 ” step and the $ shows up, you don’t need to type exit, simply close the CMD window, disconnect your phone and reboot it. Once powered back up, it should be working.

50. abhay kumar
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

i have done every thing,but i am not able to move apps.i am using sony xperia neo L(4.0.4).please help

51. MOSES
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

It worked ! thanks a bunch :-)

52. Paul
    Posted September 3, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks it worked after a few efforts on my HTC Salsa

53. Zain
    Posted September 4, 2012 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Hey man !! Installing the SDK requires me to download Java SE Development Kit 7. However after downloading it and installing this Java kit the SDK installer still does not find it !! What to do??

54. Ijtaba Alavi
    Posted September 5, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Device Not found error :(
    unable to install DRIVERS via Device manager
    i hv Spice Stellar Craze MI355 , an Andriod 2.3.6 phone
    it has a CD with it
    it has 3 folders in it , they are
    1) adb_driver
    2) HK11-VB717-27
    3) tether
    on Device manager, under ADB Interface it says Unkown Device with an exclamation mark in Yellow triangle
    how to install the drivers for it? :(
    nd when i select that adb_driver folder for updating driver from device manager it says that the driver is uptodate
    waht to do gusy plz help me
    I’m a NEWBIE :'(

55. abhay kumar
    Posted September 6, 2012 at 3:37 am | Permalink

android user belongs to bhopal me to move your apps by using CMD.
    abhay kumar: 8817317306

56. Steph
    Posted September 6, 2012 at 5:25 am | Permalink

Works great, thank you
    Just for my personnal knowledge, how can we set it back to original install destination settings please?

57. Posted September 6, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

I have successfully done everything..but nothing ever changes with the phone..still get the gray out to move to sd card…I have the samsung sch-m828c model android version 2.2.2…any suggestions would help..

58. saeed mahmud
    Posted September 6, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

I can not navigate to folder adb can you please help?

59. ty
    Posted September 7, 2012 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Hi, I just transferred most of my games to my sd card. and then I updated my phone though RUU, so all of my stuff on the phone was wiped out. and then after that I reinstalled all the apps on my phone. Games like temple run and cut the rope still retained their progress, but the progress of my angry birds and smurf village is totally lost!!! So, what did I actually transfer to my SD card??

Is there any way for me to restore my progress?? Thanks in advance.

60. Rajeev
    Posted September 8, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks…it worked.

61. Braden
    Posted September 8, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

I want to move my apps to the 32 gb sd card in my lg optimus l7 to preserve the tiny 2gb of internal memory (really lg, what were you thinking…).

I tried downloading the app2sd program but it gave me the error “The device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated”

There is no move to sdcard option in the apps menu.

Also tried changing default install location using this tutorial.
    It didn’t work (i installed a new app and it went to internal sd/memory), so I reversed it back to normal.

The comp found my device and ran the commands, it just didn’t work.

Is there any workaround? I need more space for apps!

Please help!

BTW, any way to root firmware v10e yet?

Sorry for the ultra n00b factor…

62. chilli
    Posted September 10, 2012 at 6:49 am | Permalink

Will this tweak/hack void the warranty?? I just bought the device yesterday!!

I know rooting voids the warranty!! doe this procedure also??

I have Spice Mi 425 with me

Thanks in advance for you response’

63. chilli
    Posted September 10, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I did everything u asked but it didnt work

64. Posted September 11, 2012 at 2:31 am | Permalink

Hi thank you for this helpfull post. Just one comment, If you want to verify the Default Location has been indeed changed to SD Card, run the following command from the adb shell: pm getInstallLocation

Bellow the steps to get there:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
    pm getInstallLocation

Thanks again :)

65. Posted September 12, 2012 at 8:19 am | Permalink

update android apps installed to sd card

66. Martijn van de Donk
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 5:11 am | Permalink

Worked great, thank you! My phone had been bugging me about a lack of space for a while now. It has a 32 Gb SD card -_-‘

Two small notes:
    I did this in Ubuntu Linux 12.04, and these things were different:
    I had to seperately install platform-tools. I did this running “./android sdk” in /tools and then following the wizard.
    In step 7, it says as after the command “adb shell” that you in linux/mac you need to use “./adb shell”. This is correct, but that also goes for the previous step, “adb devices” for which I used “./adb devices”.

67. gopi
    Posted September 17, 2012 at 3:35 am | Permalink

how to download sdk zip file????

68. shine tan
    Posted September 18, 2012 at 4:55 am | Permalink

i did all the steps ! everything was going well but when i wrote’pm setInstallLocation 2′ it said ‘setInstallLocation’ is an unknown command :((((((((((((((((( HELP PLZZZZZZZZZZ

2 Trackbacks

1. […] droid has not yet been found or solve. But i know it will be coming up soonPowered by Yahoo! AnswersJoseph asks…motorola ?i have a motorola slvr and when i put the SD card in my computer, a new fold…v>motorola ?i have a motorola slvr and when i put the SD card in my computer, a new folder in the SD […]

2. […] to external memory by default. But then I googled some information. And I found nice article from Bongzimo and Techgage about moving non-moveable application to SD Card. Don’t worry. No root required […]