How to move almost all Android apps to SD card (no root required)

[Update – May 2013] To see whether this procedure may work on your phone, check out the new post [Follow up] List of phones that work with “How to move almost all apps to SD card” procedure and comments to this post. Please note that this procedure does NOT work on the best selling Samsung Galaxy S3. [/Update]

[Update – March 2013] To help fellow Android users know whether this procedure will work on their phone, please submit this anonymous form (link: Google Forms) indicating whether it worked for you. Thanks! [/Update]

One of the most anticipated additions to Android 2.2 (aka Froyo) was ability to install applications to SD card, because it helps to free internal memory. When internal phone memory gets full, Android users have two problems: 1) users can’t install any more apps and 2) phone starts working slowly. The slow down is caused by the lower speed of disk write operations to the internal memory (see this post for more information on this topic), but the bottom line is that having low available space in the internal memory is not desirable.

So what should a user do when Android phone is running out of internal memory? Uninstalling rarely used apps is an obvious and easiest solution. Moving apps that support Froyo’s apps2sd feature to SD card is another option. However, for this feature to work developers need to enable apps2sd in their apps and unfortunately many large apps still do not support it.

It turns out there is a hack that lets you move almost any Android app to SD card, even if the app developer did not enable this option. And the best part: obtaining root is not required for this to work. More about this hack below, but first let’s take look at the limitations of the Android apps2sd feature.

Apps2sd limitations

Apps2sd functionality is a step in the right direction. However, the way it is implemented creates some restrictions which you should know about:

• When an app is moved to SD card, portion of that app still remains in the internal phone memory. On average, you can expect that application’s footprint in the phone memory will be reduced by a factor of 2. Note that for some apps the move will save less than 50%, e.g. Google Earth size in the internal memory reduces from 20.5 MB to 15MB, Adobe Flash Player 10.1 – from 12.4 MB to 8 MB.
  • If you use an app widget on your home screen, this app should not be moved to SD card, because the widget will stop working.
  • Android OS doesn’t have any batch tools to move all movable apps to SD card at once. You will need to manually move one app at a time by going through the list of installed apps in Settings->Applications->Manage Applications.
  • System apps such as Maps and Youtube cannot be moved to SD card using stock firmware on unrooted phone. On some phones Adobe Flash Player is pre-installed as a system app and also cannot be moved. Providers may also install bloatware as system apps, which also cannot be moved on unrooted phone. However, on a rooted phone system apps can be deleted or moved – see FAQ for details.
  • If you re-flash phone’s firmware, some backup applications may not restore your apps to SD card, but will restore them to the phone memory.

Despite these restrictions, moving apps to SD card is a good way to free up internal phone memory and speed up your Android phone.

Moving (almost) all Android apps to SD card

To run commands which will enable Move to SD card button for most installed apps, you need to have adb executable on your computer. Adb stands for Android Debug Bridge and is used for Android software development, but it is a very useful tool to have for any advanced Android user. You do not need to have a rooted phone to run adb commands.

1. To download the latest version of Android SDK (which includes adb executable), follow instructions from step 2 in the Installing the SDK article from the official Android development site. Note: you do not need to install any other software such as Eclipse for this procedure.
  2. After downloading the archive of the SDK, unzip it to any folder and remember its location (let’s call this folder <sdk>).
  3. If you are installing Android SDK on Windows machine, you also need to install USB driver as described in USB driver for Windows section.
  4. Connect the phone using USB cable and do not enable USB storage mode. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.
  5. Start terminal window on your computer (on Windows: click Start, type “cmd” and press Enter).
  6. In the terminal window, navigate to folder containing file named “adb” (<sdk>\platform-tools folder) using this command: cd “full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” (replace “full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” with an actual path as shown in the screenshot below).
  7. Type the following lines (case sensitive) in the terminal window and press Enter after each line:
    • adb devices
      • This checks that the phone is connected and is in the correct mode. You should see one entry in the list of the attached devices. If you get “device not found” error, see Troubleshooting section below.
    • adb shell
      • If you get “cannot find file” error and are using Mac or Linux, instead type: ./adb shell
    • pm set-install-location 2
      • (If this command doesn’t work try using the “old” command: pm setInstallLocation 2. Thanks to polosco for the tip.)
    • exit

Command prompt commands on Windows

8. Now on your phone go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications.
    • If you have Android 2.3 or later, click on USB Storage tab (may be called SD card). This tab shows a list of apps that either can be installed to SD card or are already on SD card. The ones that have checkbox on the right side are already moved to SD card (credit to Michael Scully for the tip).
    • On Android 2.2 and earlier if you don’s see USB Storage or SD Card tab, click on All tab.
    • Android USB storage tab

9. Press hardware Menu button and select Sort by Size.
  10. Tap on each app that is taking significant amount of space and tap Move to SD card button. Press hardware Back button and repeat.
  11. (optional) To change the default installation location for new apps back to the internal phone memory,  go back to your terminal window and type:
    • pm setInstallLocation 0
  12. (important) Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and disable USB debugging. Leaving USB debugging enabled makes your phone vulnerable (e.g. lock pattern can be reset).
  13. Enjoy!
Moving Android Adobe Flash player 10.1 to SD card (apps2sd)

Moving Android Adobe Flash player 10.1 to SD card (apps2sd)

Share your experience (optional, but greatly appreciated)

To help fellow Android users know whether this procedure will work on their phone, please submit this form (link: Google Forms) indicating whether it worked for you or not. Once sufficient number of responses is submitted, I will update this post with the results.

Troubleshooting

• “Device not found” error in step 7. Make sure that the phone is connected and is in the USB debugging mode (step 4). On Windows, this error can also mean the driver is not installed properly. Double check that you followed USB driver for Windows steps. If you still are getting this error, try installing a driver for your manufacturer from this link:  Tether “ADB” Driver Installation for Windows.
  • “Permission denied” error: make sure that you correctly typed commands.

FAQ

• Q: Does my phone need to be rooted for this hack to work?
    • A: No.
  • Q: Do I need to setup a full development environment (Java, Eclipse) for this to work?
    • A: No.
  • Q: Can I move systems apps such as Maps, Youtube, Adobe Flash Player to SD card?
    • A: On unrooted phone using stock firmware, no.
  • Q: I don’t have time for this hack. How can I check which of my installed apps officially support moving to SD card?
    • Install “App 2 SD” application from Android Market and it will list applications for which developers enabled apps2sd support.
  • Q: Can I move all apps to SD card in one operation?
    • A: Using stock firmware, no. If you know a way to do so, please let me know in the comments.
  • Q: Can I delete bloatware apps installed as “system apps” by the carriers?
    • Yes, but only if you root your device. With a rooted phone you could delete unused system apps, but it gets a bit complicated. Deleting some apps may cause problems with subsequent OS updates, so you should be careful. See this list for Android system apps can be safely removed. Instead of deleting, you can “freeze” unused system apps using Titanium Backup. Freezing an app will remove it from the app drawer and memory and will make sure it is never launched, but it will not free any space in the internal phone storage.
  • Q: Can I move system apps such as Gmail, Google Maps to SD card on a rooted phone?
    • A: Thanks to Dominique Tardif for this tip: “You have first to uninstall any updates to the system apps in question. Second, using a rooted file manager, delete the original apk from /system/app (android keeps the system app apart from the updates, the latter being at /data/apps). Once this is done, reboot and reinstall the app from the market. It will be installed as a user app and as such will be movable to the sd card. As an example, my gmail, facebook, maps etc. are all on my sd card now.”
  • Q: Can I move system apps to SD card if I’m using a custom ROM?
    • A: Yes. The most popular “aftermarket” Android firmware CyanogenMod puts the absolute minimum of the apps in the system folder. CyanogenMod 7 also by default enables the hack described in this post to allow most apps to be movable to SD card. As a result, many Android apps such as Maps, Youtube, Gmail can be moved to SD card on CyanogenMod 7, while they are unmovable to SD in the stock firmware. Note that to install CyanogenMod the phone doesn’t need to be rooted, but bootloader needs to be unlocked.

Source: XDA-developers.

Related posts

0saves
If you enjoyed this post, you can subscribe to the RSS feed or follow via Twitter and Facebook.
This entry was posted in Android, Apps, CyanogenMod, FroYo, Gingerbread, How To. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1204 Comments

1. Rebecca
    Posted June 11, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Hi, quick question, if the phones contents was dragged and dropped onto the computer from a memory card and then dragged from the computer onto a new, larger memory card, and everything has been moved, but it doesnt show up on the phone (Its missing all the photos and 200 songs) then how can you get it back? Where did they go?

• Riyas Majeed
      Posted July 10, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Hi Rebecca, the system related folders in the micro sd card will always be hidden, when you dragged and dropped the contents of the memory card, you missed all those hidden folders. Please unhide (Folder & Search Options>View>Show Hidden Files and Folders) all the folders first in your PC and try copying again. Hopefully it should work

• Mark
        Posted July 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Hi Riyas,

I have a problem whereby my phone has issues with the Sense software and keeps on shutting down, self-rebooting or freezing. So it’s off to the repair shop for the second time in a month. When I get the phone back I want to install a larger SD card and would like to find a way to move all of my apps from my current card to the new card. I can not use my phone for any back ups or as an external drive because it keeps shutting down. Is there a painless way to do this?

When my phone was first returned from the repair shop I was not able to find any of my apps on my SD card – even though I had not left it in the phone (so the repairers could not delete anything) – and so had to re-download them all from Google play.

I would rather find a method to stash the apps on my PC and then transfer them on to a new card where they will be instantly available.

2. Piyush
    Posted June 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Working just perfect… saved a lot a lot space now :)

3. Gaurav
    Posted June 12, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

many thanks friend. i was struggling with low internal memory problem. By doing this, the problem is resolved. Thanks

• Natarajan
      Posted July 14, 2012 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Hi Friend,

I hope you successfully installed SDK file and now you can able to move apps to SD card. Can you help me to do that same for my I9220 model.

Thanks
      Natarajan

4. Posted June 14, 2012 at 6:09 am | Permalink

I didn’t read through all the comments and I apologize if this has been said already, but I have a HTC Desire (C-spire) with Android 2.2. I use a software called Visionary+ to TempRoot my phone (loses root on reboot) and another software called Terminal Emulator. This eliminates the need to even use a computer (and removes the steps of “adb [command]”. Every other command will work from there. You just have to deal with the tiny screen.

Only caveat is that you have to S-OFF your phone in order for the commands to “take” on the next reboot when you (re)move system apps. Other than that, your process worked perfectly for me – especially the tip from Dominique Tardif.

Thanks

5. Cheryl
    Posted June 15, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

I was able to transfer some of the applications to my SD card, but there is one VERY IMPORTANT application that wouldn’t let me transfer it. The application is “Zelda A Link to the Past HD Theme.” Is that something that in no way can be transferred, or is there another way to get it transferred? OR, once I first downloaded it and installed it the program, did it load itself into Crazy Home (which I had to download to run the theme)? I was able to transfer Crazy Home, but not the application theme itself.

6. Felipe
    Posted June 16, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Thank you very much… this was really useful…

Although I didn’t get the checkbox next to the apps I was able to move some of them…

7. AY
    Posted June 20, 2012 at 12:00 am | Permalink

is this working with samsung galaxy s3 ?

8. AY
    Posted June 20, 2012 at 12:37 am | Permalink

i s this working with samsung galaxy s3 ?

9. peter zand
    Posted June 20, 2012 at 6:53 am | Permalink

Worked for me on my HTC ChaCha
    except the installation of the driver. Found the driver on the HTC-website (installed HTC Sync, then the driver for the ChaCha is automatically installed)

• Kalai
      Posted December 12, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Peter Zand,

I ma using a cha cha as well. But couldt get to number 6 . Could you assist me ?

10. Amanda
    Posted June 20, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

In the cmd when i typed in ‘ adb devices’ they did not state the daemon….. like in the screenshot

11. serd
    Posted June 23, 2012 at 6:03 am | Permalink

hi. if after type adb shell.
    it give me $, it does mean, it’s unrooted?

• serd
      Posted June 23, 2012 at 6:48 am | Permalink

and i can’tused pm setinstalllocation 2

• serd
        Posted June 23, 2012 at 7:21 am | Permalink

i have reached the last step:-
        -adb shell following –
        $

$ pm set-install-location 2

$ unknown command ‘set-install-location’

Please help me, what should i do…

• Vusal
          Posted June 24, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

try this as it is mentioned above

pm setInstallLocation 2

• rajat
          Posted June 30, 2012 at 4:03 am | Permalink

yes it means your phone is unrooted
          but still you can use the given method
          just type pm set-install-location 2 in front of it

12. Vusal
    Posted June 24, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Perfect. Well done! well explained!
    Just professional work.

13. Uknown
    Posted June 24, 2012 at 11:04 am | Permalink

thanks bro …..really appericiated

14. Kevin
    Posted June 28, 2012 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Don’t know how to thank you for this….freed a lot of space on my phone……gonna recommend this to all android users!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Vitor
    Posted June 28, 2012 at 6:02 am | Permalink

great trick !!

one litle difrence for linux users. on steep 7, in order of type:

pm set-install-location 2

type:

pm setInstallLocation 2

16. Sharkey
    Posted June 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Hi,

I installed the SDK ran the adb devices and can see a device.

I ran a shell.

pm setInstallLocation 2 worked ok but I still can’t move anything.

Trying to move Facebook, Adobe Flash or Google Maps as everytinng else already moved using App2SD

I’m trying on an unrooted HTC desire.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

• Lucky
      Posted July 17, 2012 at 6:29 am | Permalink

use unlock root, 101% working

17. WILDFIRE S OWNER
    Posted June 28, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

For those Wildfire owners who have been facing difficulties syncing the phone to a computer! Ive spent a few hours trying to find a solution to this! For some reason SDK wont for sure find proper driver. Nor htc sync software! Heres what i found… I really hope it can of help and unlike others who have immediately abandoned the feed affter succes with their phones Im here just to help! Btw, Im not native english speaker! Pardon me if any misakes are made! Nor am I a very exprienced, a prod enthusiast though#! cheers! VIVA MEXICO!

18. WILDFIRE S OWNER
    Posted June 28, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink
  19. WILDFIRE S OWNER
    Posted June 28, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

It’s confirmed! For a certain reason HTC WILDFIRE is not recognized untill the proper driver is installed.

Heres what I did and can solve your sync problem:

– Install the SDK software
    – Dont bother trying the google USB driver for windows on SDK
    – Go here “http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-wildfire-s-vmobile/software-updates” and download “5557 FOR HTC WILDFIRE S | 10.25.2011″
    – Proceed with installation (restart will be needed)
    – Connect mobile (debugging mode) and the machine will do everything (once the previous software was succesfully installed)
    – Go back CMD TERMINAL and follow same instrucctions from step 5 onwards.
    -The procedure will run smoothly

This worked for me after an exhaustive research.

Cheers.
    BTW, IM ON WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE
    HTC WILDFIRE S (WHITE)
    Mexico

20. tom
    Posted June 29, 2012 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Hi, sadly it doesnt work on the galaxy s3, but also if u do this you get an error when ever you try to install apps that you are out of space (even though i got another 8 gigs in the internal).

any way to invert this process to see if it solve my problem :?

21. Sourabh
    Posted June 29, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Hi …
    I followed the steps to download sdk.exe and downloaded and updated USB driver (whenever i tried to update it, it said up to date)
    then i changed cmd directory to “C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Android\Android SDK\platform-tools”
    here abd.exe is present
    but trying abd devices gives:
    ‘abd’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file

If i continue with ./abd shell it gives
    ‘.’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file

What have I done wrong?

• Sourabh
      Posted June 29, 2012 at 10:03 am | Permalink

PS: I have USB Debugging on

• Sourabh
        Posted June 29, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Ok so I installed Sony PC companion (I have sony phone)
        “abd devices” worked
        “abd shell” also worked and gave me $
        then in front of $ in entered “pm set-install-location 2″ and it did some stuff and printed some stuff and again I got $
        the i entered “exit” and again “exit” to close cmd

But Apps are still not movable to SD :(

22. Cesar
    Posted July 1, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

I did it, it worked, but when I tried to install an App, the phone automatically reboots without installing it, just as it does when I try to move something to the SD Card. I tried changing it for a new SD card, and nothing changed. Help, please!

23. Ghaha
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 2:23 am | Permalink

Thank You Very Much…………its really usefull………

24. Screensavour
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:52 am | Permalink

i love you :)
    everything is working fine!

25. dacklin
    Posted July 3, 2012 at 7:42 am | Permalink

worked perfect thanks a lot.:)

26. Duy Phuong
    Posted July 3, 2012 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Thank you very much! It worked well. Good jobs!

27. Chandrashekhar
    Posted July 3, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

im unable proceed after step5
    ive Samsung Galaxy Pro B7510
    after opening cmd I cant do anything
    ive downloaded all the recommend files
    pls help me :(

28. shubham
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:53 am | Permalink

i have followed all the instructions. and all did each and every step. but it doesn’t work at all. my device is Samsung galaxy young. please help me up.

29. Posted July 5, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

does it work for SE WT19i (Live with walkman)???

30. Matthew
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    The first two steps of the cmd work fine and it finds my phone. However when i type in pm set-install-location 2 it comes up saying ” ‘pm’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file… I tried different ways of typing pm set-install-location 2 and also tried it with ./ infront but that still said the same… Help would be greatly appreciated?!?!?!

• Matthew
      Posted July 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I have an LG optimus L3

31. Nikki
    Posted July 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Hi,

I was wondering if this will work for LG Optimus L3..
    Please cofirm, i am scared to try it and might change something that i will not be able to retrieve back..
    thanks…

32. Nikki
    Posted July 6, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

I tried calling the costumer service and they told me that i could not move apps in SD card since its a system limitation for the LG optimus L3… that’s why i was wondering if it will really work for my phone before trying the step by step procedure. Please help.
    thanks.

33. Justin
    Posted July 7, 2012 at 7:16 am | Permalink

After doing this, my GPS no longer works.. is there a way of fixing this? Furthermore, if I wished to undo this process.. how would I?

34. Tatjana
    Posted July 7, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your kind help.
    I have gone through all cmd ok but I can not still move any app to sd.
    I have arnova 10b

• Tatjana
      Posted July 7, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

it is routed android 2.2.1. Should Tablet be USB connected when moving to SD or not and SD card mountened then. It wasn’t mountened earlier. Please help. Thanks

35. J.R.
    Posted July 8, 2012 at 1:42 am | Permalink

I have an LG Optimus V (Android 2.2.2). It took me a while, but I finally got through this tutorial. Pretty much the only thing of any size I was able to move in the end was Facebook – but that was significant. Hopefully this hack will stave off some headaches for a while. Much thanks.

36. Zaeem
    Posted July 8, 2012 at 7:01 am | Permalink

When I type “pm set-install-location 2″ or even “pm setinstallLocation 2″, I get an error message:

Error: unknown command ‘set-install-location’

and a bunch of stuff gets printed after it. and finally comes back to $ sign. Any help?

• Zaeem
      Posted July 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Found the solution……

The command ” pm setInstallLocation 2″ is case sensitive. ‘s’ of ‘set’ is in small case, ‘I’ of ‘Install’ is in capital case, ‘L’ of ‘Location’ is again in capital case.

This solved my problem and hope it solves for people facing same.

37. arc
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Please help. I get errors on both tries on Step #7 (3rd bullet):

Error: unknown command ‘setInstallLocation”
    Error: unknown command ‘set-install-location’

38. Peodo
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Its Not worked on My SE Xperia Play..WHat Happent ?

39. Riyas Majeed
    Posted July 10, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Worked Well on my Samsung Galaxy Y Duos, Many Thanks Sergey Povzner.. Internal Memory problem was really troubling me

• Rz
      Posted September 29, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Good for you buddy. My Duos isn’t being recognized even after I installed Kies. :|

I’ve installed all drivers. Anyone know what else I can try?
      I have a Samsung Galaxy Y Duos GT-S6102
      Android ver: 2.3.6
      Baseband: S6012DXLD3
      Kernel: 2.6.35.7

Thanks!

• Prabhu T
      Posted November 7, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Hi,

May i know where did you get the drivers for samsung duos, I am holding galaxy s duos and am unable to find the driver from the samsung official website,
      pls help me ,

Thanks !

40. suhas
    Posted July 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Hi
    Please help me
    When reached last step but when i put command setinstalllocation 2 it shows permission denied.
    Please help

41. Jabecca
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 7:36 am | Permalink

I was struggling how to free the memory.. Thanks alot..

42. Aamir
    Posted July 13, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

does it work on tablets(4.0 ics) too.
    thnx

43. Pranshu
    Posted July 13, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Xperia Arc S users need Settings-> Xperia->connectivity-> USB Connection mode -> Set to Mass Storage mode. ( MTP does not work)

44. Bruce
    Posted July 16, 2012 at 6:37 am | Permalink

worked great – thanks

45. Patrick
    Posted July 16, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

You guys are heroes!!!!!

46. yhen
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

is this working with LG optimus L3(E400)?

47. Posted July 18, 2012 at 9:30 am | Permalink

LG Optimus LS670
    Android 2.2.3

No one seems to want to answer this question, but I’m tearing my hair out. Please:

After I enter:

$ pm setInstallLocation 2

I get:
    pm setInstallLocation 2
    [1] Killed pm setInstallLocation 2
    $

What is wrong? How can I get this to work?

• jeff thompson
      Posted August 10, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I’m having the same problem. I’ve looked nearly everywhere I can think to look on the internet and no one seems to have the answer. Again, when using a Linux computer and the LG Optimus Slider, typing the following command: “pm setInstallLocation 2″ results in “[1] Killed pm setInstallLocation 2″.

Doesn’t anyone know what to do here???

• Jon
        Posted December 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Has anyone figured out how to get past this? [1] Killed pm setInstallLocation 2 shows that the change didn’t work. getInstallLocation shows that.

48. Allforms
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Awesome guy you are. Thanks a lot bro. In case this might help anyone, I wasn’t able to move the apps into my SD drive until I disconnected the USB drive.

49. Alexis
    Posted July 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Do you have a video on how to do this? Because I’m having trouble on step-6.

50. Bob Jones
    Posted July 22, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Can this only be done once? Because it worked the first time but I could only move 1 App to the SD card. Tried many more times and it wont work

51. Mara
    Posted July 22, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Thank you for sharing this. It really worked. I’ve been able to move all apps on my phone memory into my SD card. hugs and kisses! :)

52. Faiza
    Posted July 22, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Does it work fot htc explorer??

53. Anuj Deora
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I have downloaded many applications and transferred them to memory card.But now the problem is when i click on the main menu button,i cannot see the applications installed on the memory card.I can only see those applications which are installed on the Phone Memory.But when i check on My Apps,it shows that these applications are installed.How do i get them on the main screen.I have Micromax superfone Aisha A52.Andriod 2.3.6

54. Wendy Decelis
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 6:16 am | Permalink

Thanks a lot! This worked!! :)

55. Posted July 24, 2012 at 7:33 am | Permalink

it says
    “The system cannot find the path specified”.
    do help.

56. Branko
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Works like a charm on SE Xperia mini pro!

57. Steve
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

I need help guys, first I’m not new to DOS commands but still intermediate when it comes to Android. I have a rooted Samsung GT-I5500m with a stock ROM (Eclair 2.1 update 1) , I installed the latest JDK, and Android SDK on my PC. Followed the procedures here, device is shown when using the adb device command but my issue here is that whenever i would use “pm setInstallLocation 2″ or the “pm set-install-location 2″, it keeps on saying that it is not a recognized internal/external command. I checked the folder that contains the adb.exe (mine was under the platform tool folder on my PC) and it seems like there’s no executable file for this command(s), or is it already contained within the adb.exe?

And just wondering, why is it that my adb UI starts with the # sign rather than $ sign? Is there a difference? Is it because my phone is already rooted?

Looking forward to some professional advice, thanks.

58. Lola
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Didn’t Freaking Work.
    I spent 3 hours trying to get this to work on my optimus.
    It didn’t do anything at all but waste my time.
    Just like a poster before me:

After I enter:

$ pm setInstallLocation 2

I get:
    pm setInstallLocation 2
    [1] Killed pm setInstallLocation 2
    $

59. getcyy
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 7:42 am | Permalink

hey.. before doing this i tried the app you mentioned App-2-SD ,, after opening it it says you have
    “No movable apps found from storage” ,, does this means that i cant move any app tp sd card by doing the above mentioned steps? (apps i want to move to sd card & which are in phone memory, inbuilt apps like facebook, maps, google play & installed apps like app locker, voice recorder ,etc. )
    please reply asap, i have hardly 14Mb left! , Thank You.

60. Bradley Kisia
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 2:12 am | Permalink

The perfect solution without going too technical … Thanks sir!

61. getcyy
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 5:33 am | Permalink

it might b moving flash player n all but its not moving the main apps which i & lots of people wanted to move.. ,, facebook,Gmap,Gplay. Seems no option left other than rooting.. :( but anyway it was still v helpful. If any 1 have any other solution then plz let us know.

62. SMurro
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 8:21 am | Permalink

This is an absolute pisstake. Do Google really expect people to start downloading developer kits and fucking about with command lines to fix the biggest fuck up ever? What on Earth is the point on me having a 2Gb card that’s 90% empty, yet I can’t use my phone because my bloody text messages are taking up the TINY internal memory.

It’s a fucking disgrace.

63. Billu
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I am using Samsung Galaxy Y. I have done all the procedure till adb devices and finally the string “List of devices attached” is displayed but no device is shown below…
    Other 2 commands aren’t working. What shall i do….

64. Isaac
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Hi I’ve done everything up to typing in “adb devices”, but my phone doesn’t appear, I noticed it says look at troubleshooting if the device doesn’t appear but can’t find a solution.
    I have an Xperia Arc.
    Thanks for any help :)

65. umesh
    Posted August 1, 2012 at 3:23 am | Permalink

will this work for my htc explorer a310e?

66. oldman
    Posted August 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

This is a real downside to this amazing phone. I have one which is barely a week old and I already have the memory issues…

67. TheSmiao
    Posted August 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much, this is a good tutorial

68. Raltoshiba
    Posted August 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

does this method works on android 2.1 ?

69. zaid
    Posted August 4, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

wow dam cool man

70. See Toh Wai Kay
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

It didn’t work for me, here is my log.

C:\SDK\platform-tools>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    S5830882997b7 device

C:\SDK\platform-tools>pm set-install-location 2
    ‘pm’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\SDK\platform-tools>pm setInstallLocation 2
    ‘pm’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\SDK\platform-tools>pm setInstallLocation 2.
    ‘pm’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\SDK\platform-tools>adb shell
    $ pm set-install-location 2
    pm set-install-location 2
    Error: unknown command ‘set-install-location’

• ykp
      Posted August 13, 2012 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Try this command.
      pm setInstallLocation 2

• victor
        Posted September 2, 2012 at 5:32 am | Permalink

ykp, That was it.
        I used a Capital S in Set.

thanks

• Graham
      Posted August 21, 2012 at 6:28 am | Permalink

I think you missed ‘adb shell’

• Venkat
      Posted August 26, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

You have missed the adb shell command. The pm command works only inside the shell, not in the DOS prompt.

• struggler
      Posted August 27, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I get following as in See Toh Wai Kay:- on command “set-install-location 2″ (or “setInstallLocation 2″ the following message

“Error: unknown command setInstallLocation”

followed by a cmd blurb on usage etc.

41 Trackbacks