How to move almost all Android apps to SD card (no root required)

[Update - May 2013] To see whether this procedure may work on your phone, check out the new post [Follow up] List of phones that work with “How to move almost all apps to SD card” procedure and comments to this post. Please note that this procedure does NOT work on the best selling Samsung Galaxy S3. [/Update]

[Update - March 2013] To help fellow Android users know whether this procedure will work on their phone, please submit this anonymous form (link: Google Forms) indicating whether it worked for you. Thanks! [/Update]

One of the most anticipated additions to Android 2.2 (aka Froyo) was ability to install applications to SD card, because it helps to free internal memory. When internal phone memory gets full, Android users have two problems: 1) users can’t install any more apps and 2) phone starts working slowly. The slow down is caused by the lower speed of disk write operations to the internal memory (see this post for more information on this topic), but the bottom line is that having low available space in the internal memory is not desirable.

So what should a user do when Android phone is running out of internal memory? Uninstalling rarely used apps is an obvious and easiest solution. Moving apps that support Froyo’s apps2sd feature to SD card is another option. However, for this feature to work developers need to enable apps2sd in their apps and unfortunately many large apps still do not support it.

It turns out there is a hack that lets you move almost any Android app to SD card, even if the app developer did not enable this option. And the best part: obtaining root is not required for this to work. More about this hack below, but first let’s take look at the limitations of the Android apps2sd feature.

Apps2sd limitations

Apps2sd functionality is a step in the right direction. However, the way it is implemented creates some restrictions which you should know about:

• When an app is moved to SD card, portion of that app still remains in the internal phone memory. On average, you can expect that application’s footprint in the phone memory will be reduced by a factor of 2. Note that for some apps the move will save less than 50%, e.g. Google Earth size in the internal memory reduces from 20.5 MB to 15MB, Adobe Flash Player 10.1 – from 12.4 MB to 8 MB.
  • If you use an app widget on your home screen, this app should not be moved to SD card, because the widget will stop working.
  • Android OS doesn’t have any batch tools to move all movable apps to SD card at once. You will need to manually move one app at a time by going through the list of installed apps in Settings->Applications->Manage Applications.
  • System apps such as Maps and Youtube cannot be moved to SD card using stock firmware on unrooted phone. On some phones Adobe Flash Player is pre-installed as a system app and also cannot be moved. Providers may also install bloatware as system apps, which also cannot be moved on unrooted phone. However, on a rooted phone system apps can be deleted or moved – see FAQ for details.
  • If you re-flash phone’s firmware, some backup applications may not restore your apps to SD card, but will restore them to the phone memory.

Despite these restrictions, moving apps to SD card is a good way to free up internal phone memory and speed up your Android phone.

Moving (almost) all Android apps to SD card

To run commands which will enable Move to SD card button for most installed apps, you need to have adb executable on your computer. Adb stands for Android Debug Bridge and is used for Android software development, but it is a very useful tool to have for any advanced Android user. You do not need to have a rooted phone to run adb commands.

1. To download the latest version of Android SDK (which includes adb executable), follow instructions from step 2 in the Installing the SDK article from the official Android development site. Note: you do not need to install any other software such as Eclipse for this procedure.
  2. After downloading the archive of the SDK, unzip it to any folder and remember its location (let’s call this folder <sdk>).
  3. If you are installing Android SDK on Windows machine, you also need to install USB driver as described in USB driver for Windows section.
  4. Connect the phone using USB cable and do not enable USB storage mode. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.
  5. Start terminal window on your computer (on Windows: click Start, type “cmd” and press Enter).
  6. In the terminal window, navigate to folder containing file named “adb” (<sdk>\platform-tools folder) using this command: cd “full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” (replace “full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” with an actual path as shown in the screenshot below).
  7. Type the following lines (case sensitive) in the terminal window and press Enter after each line:
    • adb devices
      • This checks that the phone is connected and is in the correct mode. You should see one entry in the list of the attached devices. If you get “device not found” error, see Troubleshooting section below.
    • adb shell
      • If you get “cannot find file” error and are using Mac or Linux, instead type: ./adb shell
    • pm set-install-location 2
      • (If this command doesn’t work try using the “old” command: pm setInstallLocation 2. Thanks to polosco for the tip.)
    • exit

Command prompt commands on Windows

8. Now on your phone go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications.
    • If you have Android 2.3 or later, click on USB Storage tab (may be called SD card). This tab shows a list of apps that either can be installed to SD card or are already on SD card. The ones that have checkbox on the right side are already moved to SD card (credit to Michael Scully for the tip).
    • On Android 2.2 and earlier if you don’s see USB Storage or SD Card tab, click on All tab.
    • Android USB storage tab

9. Press hardware Menu button and select Sort by Size.
  10. Tap on each app that is taking significant amount of space and tap Move to SD card button. Press hardware Back button and repeat.
  11. (optional) To change the default installation location for new apps back to the internal phone memory,  go back to your terminal window and type:
    • pm setInstallLocation 0
  12. (important) Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and disable USB debugging. Leaving USB debugging enabled makes your phone vulnerable (e.g. lock pattern can be reset).
  13. Enjoy!
Moving Android Adobe Flash player 10.1 to SD card (apps2sd)

Moving Android Adobe Flash player 10.1 to SD card (apps2sd)

Share your experience (optional, but greatly appreciated)

To help fellow Android users know whether this procedure will work on their phone, please submit this form (link: Google Forms) indicating whether it worked for you or not. Once sufficient number of responses is submitted, I will update this post with the results.

Troubleshooting

• “Device not found” error in step 7. Make sure that the phone is connected and is in the USB debugging mode (step 4). On Windows, this error can also mean the driver is not installed properly. Double check that you followed USB driver for Windows steps. If you still are getting this error, try installing a driver for your manufacturer from this link:  Tether “ADB” Driver Installation for Windows.
  • “Permission denied” error: make sure that you correctly typed commands.

FAQ

• Q: Does my phone need to be rooted for this hack to work?
    • A: No.
  • Q: Do I need to setup a full development environment (Java, Eclipse) for this to work?
    • A: No.
  • Q: Can I move systems apps such as Maps, Youtube, Adobe Flash Player to SD card?
    • A: On unrooted phone using stock firmware, no.
  • Q: I don’t have time for this hack. How can I check which of my installed apps officially support moving to SD card?
    • Install “App 2 SD” application from Android Market and it will list applications for which developers enabled apps2sd support.
  • Q: Can I move all apps to SD card in one operation?
    • A: Using stock firmware, no. If you know a way to do so, please let me know in the comments.
  • Q: Can I delete bloatware apps installed as “system apps” by the carriers?
    • Yes, but only if you root your device. With a rooted phone you could delete unused system apps, but it gets a bit complicated. Deleting some apps may cause problems with subsequent OS updates, so you should be careful. See this list for Android system apps can be safely removed. Instead of deleting, you can “freeze” unused system apps using Titanium Backup. Freezing an app will remove it from the app drawer and memory and will make sure it is never launched, but it will not free any space in the internal phone storage.
  • Q: Can I move system apps such as Gmail, Google Maps to SD card on a rooted phone?
    • A: Thanks to Dominique Tardif for this tip: “You have first to uninstall any updates to the system apps in question. Second, using a rooted file manager, delete the original apk from /system/app (android keeps the system app apart from the updates, the latter being at /data/apps). Once this is done, reboot and reinstall the app from the market. It will be installed as a user app and as such will be movable to the sd card. As an example, my gmail, facebook, maps etc. are all on my sd card now.”
  • Q: Can I move system apps to SD card if I’m using a custom ROM?
    • A: Yes. The most popular “aftermarket” Android firmware CyanogenMod puts the absolute minimum of the apps in the system folder. CyanogenMod 7 also by default enables the hack described in this post to allow most apps to be movable to SD card. As a result, many Android apps such as Maps, Youtube, Gmail can be moved to SD card on CyanogenMod 7, while they are unmovable to SD in the stock firmware. Note that to install CyanogenMod the phone doesn’t need to be rooted, but bootloader needs to be unlocked.

Source: XDA-developers.

Related posts

0saves
If you enjoyed this post, you can subscribe to the RSS feed or follow via Twitter and Facebook.
This entry was posted in Android, Apps, CyanogenMod, FroYo, Gingerbread, How To. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1184 Comments

1. David
    Posted October 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

This worked very well on my LG Optimus V (Android 2.2.1). Thank you for sharing this and for making your instructions so clear!

2. Aayush
    Posted October 9, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Hi,
    I tried “./adb devices” , it displays ./adb: not found. If I use C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices, it list the device. The button is still inacive and I am nt able to move my apps to DS card. PLz help. :(

3. Robyn
    Posted October 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

So far I’ve gotten to step 6 and I can’t find an ‘adb’ file. I tried updating my phone using the SDK but it didn’t install anything. I have an Android Vortex. Help please?

4. Ashish
    Posted October 11, 2011 at 2:16 am | Permalink

@Sergey Povzner Thanks for clearing out my doubt. Appreciate it. Have a great Day!

5. merlin
    Posted October 11, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

hmmm…. keep running into a wall at step 6. No such thing as a terminal window…?

6. Posted October 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

@David: you’re welcome :-)

@Aayush: the “./” before adb is needed only on Max or Linux. Since your path contains Program Files you’re using Windows. If the device is listed – it’s good news, meaning you have the driver and can continue to step 7.
    The button will be enabled only after you successfully run “pm setInstallLocation 2″ command.

@Robyn: adb file will be on your computer, not the phone. Step 6 describes how to find it. Basically, find the folder where you downloaded the sdk to and inside it find “platform-tools” folder.

@merlin: depending on the operating system you’re using it may be called “command prompt”, “terminal” etc. Googling should help :-).

7. Balaji Manoharan
    Posted October 16, 2011 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Dear Sir,
    I am using HTC SALSA with android version 2.3.3 (gingerbird) bought a week ago. The storage gets filled very often and unable to install anymore apps. I tried APP2SD app too and though its getting filled often.

I tried your steps and when I run the adb from the Platformtools folder , the command window just appears for a sec and then vanishes!! Can you please help !! I even tried running as Admin too and also tried running with the sdk manager open , but in vain. Please help me sort it out!!

• Shaq
      Posted December 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Have you ever figured out the soltuion?im having the same problem as well

• Venkat
        Posted January 19, 2012 at 5:21 am | Permalink

Hey all,
        I am using a HTC salsa. I tried this and it worked like a piece of cake.
        ONE ADVICE TO ALL USERS WHO OWN A HTC DEVICE>>>>> THE android sdk that u download from google will not have ur device’s usb driver. The only way to solve the issue is to download htc sync from HTC’s website and then try this. After u install HTC sync this will work :) :) .. Also , if it says adb version is old, it doesn’t matter, yet the MOD works perfectly fine !!! CHEERS>!

• kiran
          Posted July 23, 2012 at 7:03 am | Permalink

Hi Venkat,
          I need to install hindi or Devanagere font on my HTC Salsa. Can you help pease!

8. Dhiru
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

when i run the command C:\program files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb devices it shows adb server out of date …killing..

so what should i do??plz reply..
    thanks in advance.

• Venkat
      Posted January 19, 2012 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Check the comment above, it doesn’t matter if ur version is old, and even if it says its killing, yet the mod works perfectly fine. Trust me, it did work fine on my HTC Salsa!!

9. Kenneth
    Posted October 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

when i type pm setInstallLocation 2, i got pm is not recognized as an internal or external command. thanks in advance.

10. Bermie
    Posted October 23, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

I can type into the terminal screen. I have found the abd file. When I click on it it simply scrolls and then closes. What am I missing?

11. Bermie
    Posted October 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Nevermind…Got it it! It’s been a while since I worked with the cmd prompt! Thanks. Worked like a charm.

12. Naveed Hamza
    Posted October 23, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

I am not able to find the USB driver for HTC Salsa. HTC website is very ambiguous about it. Anyone found a hack, please help.

• Raghava
      Posted January 24, 2012 at 8:32 am | Permalink

If u Install HTC Sync in your system then it is ok because in HTC Sync only the USB diver for HTC Salsa will be available

13. Naveed Hamza
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Awesome work dude ….. worked seamlessly …. But I still have a lot of internal memory occupied by application that still can’t be transferred to SD card. Also CyanogenMod 7 doesn’t support HTC Salsa yet :( So any other solution ??

14. mynameisstolen
    Posted October 26, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Works great. Thanks! Excellent instructions.

Rooted HTC Evo

15. Muhammad Ovais Khan
    Posted October 30, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Thank You Dude, it realy worked, and I have free space on my xperia arc.

16. Jeyarajan
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your wonderful work. I have space in my phone.

17. Santiago
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot for the howto! It takes some time to do all this SDK stuff and update it to get the adb file, but it’s worth it! Thanks again!

18. Posted November 1, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

I’m glad to have discovered your website. I am going to come back. Do excuse my English I’m Indian national.

19. Naveed Hamza
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 3:54 am | Permalink

Even though I successfully did your hack on my HTC Salsa some days back, but right now I am again terribly short on internal memory. I am not even able to open the gallery as it shows “Phone is low on storage space”(Even though 1.24GB space in free on SD card & only 3.39 MB on internal). Thats bloody disgusting!!

Is there a way of making the SD memory (entire or portion of it ) act as internal memory. Also will rooting my phone help me Or is there any other solution which you think i should adopt.

Do reply Sergey !!

• Posted November 3, 2011 at 9:37 am | Permalink

@Naveed: if you root your phone and create a second partition on SD card, you can use Link2SD app to move apps to that second partition. Here’s the market link for Link2SD, author’s thread at xda, and brief installation instructions. Remember to do a full backup before rooting or partitioning SD card.

Also, you should not leave so little free space in the internal memory – when you get that low space warning, some apps such as sync may stop working. I’d try to keep at least 15-20MB free.

20. merlin
    Posted November 7, 2011 at 5:04 am | Permalink

works like a charm! Still i do not understand why this has to be so complicated. This should be a standard option for all non-critical apps. IMHO a major fail by HTC.

HTC Desire

21. joe
    Posted November 20, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

I ran “adb shell” and it worked, but when I tried to run “pm setInstallLocation 2″, I got the message that pm is not recognized as a command. When I tried to rerun “adb shell” it gives an “error: device not found” message. Any ideas how to take it from here? Thanks.

22. pranky
    Posted November 20, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

it really works….gr8 work dude……thnx a lot

23. christine
    Posted November 21, 2011 at 6:12 am | Permalink

I did all the instructions you provided but when I tried to move some apps to my sd card, the “move to sd card” button is still not highlighted which means I still cannot move it to sd card. What should I do?

24. Adam
    Posted November 28, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Hello,

Thanks for the great step by step instructions. I am however stuck on point number 6. I am not sure what “(using “cd full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” command)” means… and when I click on adb in the platform-tools folder a terminal window pops up with all kinds of commands, and that I cannot modify. So I opened a new terminal window and put in the commands from step 7 for Mac but it still just gave me an error code.

So I go back to step 6 and Im stuck again not knowing what to do…

any help? Thanks again

25. Stephen
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:17 am | Permalink

Hi,

Please help me. I did all the steps in the instructions. But I am stuck at steps 6 & 7. When I clicked the adb.exe, It comes out a terminal command prompt and automatically run for a few seconds (eg. 3 or 4 seconds) and then the terminal window closed. I cant type any new command in the terminal window. Why is this happen? Please help me :)

26. Millad
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Phenomenal, It’s phenomenal man,

great job :) .. I appreciate it …
    After long time I can update and install new apps on my beloved HTC Desire

Thanks :)

27. Stephen
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 5:47 am | Permalink

Hi,

For your information im using HTC wildfire S OS version 2.3 (Gingerbread)

28. ermal
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

I have HTC Wildfire S and it works for me, thnx a lot, now i can move every program on SD card :)

29. Irma
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Hello there!

First at all: Thanks for posting this.

Me I’ve got the same problem like a few others in here: I’m stuck at step 6. Every time I try to open the adb in the folder “platform-tools” a terminal window pops up for a few seconds and disappears then, without that I could do anything. Is there anything I can do?

My phones free space is starting to become very little, which really sucks. I’m greatfull vor any help.

• Posted December 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

@Adam, Stephen, Irma
      You probably are double clicking on adb.exe from the explorer. Instead, you should launch the terminal (step 5. On Windows: Start >Run…, type “cmd” and hit Enter). Then type the following command in the terminal:
      cd full-path-to-sdk-tools
      substituting full-path-to-sdk-tools with the actual path to folder containing adb.exe file (e.g. cd c:\sdk\android-sdk\platform-tools) and hit Enter. This path depends on where you saved android sdk in step 1.
      I’ll update steps 5 and 6 to make this a bit more clear.

30. Irma
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Uh, and I’m using a HTC Wildfire S with android 2.3.3.

31. Pankaj
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

It worked wonders for my Xperia Arc. Not all but many of the apps could be moved after following the mentioned steps.
    Thanks a ton!

32. Steve
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

My Phone:
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (Verizon)
    380 MB total internal storage (48 MB free)
    Android version 2.3.2
    Kernel version 2.6.32.9-perf
    Build number 3.0.E.2.89

My PC:
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    installed Java SDK 6 update 30
    SEMC Mass Storage USB Device driver ver. 5.1.2535.0 already installed
    installed Sony Ericsson sa0102 ADB Interface Driver ver. 2.0.10.20010
    updated to Sony Ericsson sa0102 ADB Interface Driver ver. 2.0.10.20022

At first “adb devices” showed nothing. And, “adb shell” gave the same “device not found” message. So, I rebooted my PC. After reboot I was able to run both “adb devices” and “adb shell” successfully. Then, in the adb shell I was able to run “pm setInstallLocation 2″ successfully.

I was able to move many applications to the SD card that could not be moved before. WOW, this is GREAT! Now I have 85 MB free of internal storage. It still seems like not much space, but it is better than before.

I tested the apps that were moved to SD, and they still work correctly.

Any idea how to move the pre-installed games like: Asphalt 6 (21.14MB), Bruce Lee (11.80MB), Star Battalion (10.44MB), and Crash Bandicoot (7.41MB) to the SD card? I cannot delete or move these games, and they are taking up a lot of precious internal space.

Anyway, Thank you so much for these instructions! They worked great for the downloaded apps, but didn’t do anything for the pre-installed games.

• Posted December 16, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

@Steve
      From what you are describing, looks like those 4 games are pre-installed as system apps by Verizon or Sony. I am speechless.

Unfortunately, no options for unrooted phone. If you root, you will be able to delete them. Also see today’s comment from Dominique on how to move them to SD (once rooted) if you want to keep them (although, you may have to buy them).

First step to root is to unlock bootloader. Sony Ericsson is supposed to be relatively friendly regarding unlocking bootloader: http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/

33. Dominique Tardif
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Q: Can I move systems apps such as Maps, Youtube, and Adobe Flash Player to SD card?

A: No. Moving system apps to SD card is not possible on both unrooted and rooted phones using stock firmware.

— There is actually a way to do so if your phone is rooted. You have first to uninstall any updates to the system apps in question. Second, using a rooted file manager, delete the original apk from /system/app (android keeps the system app appart from the updates, the latter being at /data/apps). Once this is done, reboot and reinstall the app from the market. It will be installed as a user app and as such will be movable to the sd card. As an exemple, my gmail, facebook, maps etc. are all on my sd card now.

• Posted December 16, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

@Dominique
      Very nice trick for rooted phones, thanks! Will update the FAQ.

34. Irma
    Posted December 24, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Hello Sergey!

Wow, thanks for your answer!
    Well, i did that: I opened the terminal window (over the input “cmd” in the startmenue), then I wrote in

cd C:\Users\PK\Downloads\android-sdk_r16-windows\sdk\platform-tools

but my computer keeps telling me the path wouldn’t exist – even tought that’s exactly where the folder is. And by writing “adb shell”, the only thing appearing is “device not found”.
    What the heck am I doing wrong?

35. Jolland Castro
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Hi. when i used the command update, an error occured. update: permission denied

What should i do? please send me an mail for you reply.

Thanks.

• Jolland Castro
      Posted December 28, 2011 at 12:28 am | Permalink

i forgot to mentioned,my phone is xperia ray. im using vista computer.

please help

Thanks.

36. John
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 12:58 am | Permalink

I just installed App 2 SD Pro on my Galaxy S2… But after I moved my apps to the SD card, i cannot start my apps, it says “App not installed on phone”.. PLS HELP…

37. Rahul
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Great post. :) Now i can live without rooting my phone a little bit more.. Thanks a lot Sergey!

38. Posted January 1, 2012 at 6:44 am | Permalink

Thanx for procedure …
    now I can move all app on sd card but only part of app can be moved on sd card
    How can I completely move installed apps on sd card (data,and remaining part also)
    I have official firmware

39. John Cult
    Posted January 4, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

I’m don’t know if I have installed the driver or not. Can you tell how to check driver installation? Also I’m not able to find the path

• Posted January 9, 2012 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Run “adb devices” command and see if any device id is listed. If no device id is displayed, driver is not installed.

40. andy
    Posted January 6, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

C:\Program Files\android-sdk-windows\….den when i try and open program-tools it says PROGRAM TOOLS IS NOT RECOGNIZED AS AN INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL COMMAND,OPERABLE PROGRAM OR BATCH FILE. PLS HELP I GOT A ZTE SCORE

41. Matt
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the how to! I have an Optimus V and the applications I wanted installed that wouldn’t move to SD filled up the internal memory and slowed the phone way down. After getting everything on SD it’s way faster.

I uninstalled the apps and reinstalled them after setting SD as the default.

42. Toinou
    Posted January 13, 2012 at 2:16 am | Permalink

Hi,

I’m stuck at step 7. When I tip in “adb shell” or “pm setInstallLocation 2″ it says:
    “PROGRAM TOOLS IS NOT RECOGNIZED AS AN INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL COMMAND,OPERABLE PROGRAM OR BATCH FILE”.

What should I do?

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

You probably are entering path to adb file incorrectly. I updated the procedure to be a bit easier to follow – see if it helps.

43. Posted January 14, 2012 at 12:05 am | Permalink

nice post.. this a good info for me, because my memory phone is full.. i hope this solution of my problem..

thanks..

44. Molly
    Posted January 14, 2012 at 2:01 am | Permalink

I’ve been struggling with steps 6 and 7 all night. I have gotten to the cmd lines and am getting the following message at step 6:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Computer>cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    error: device not found

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
    error: device not found

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>

when I go to the folder that I installed the SDK to, it shows the “adb application.” I’ve clicked on that, it simply scrolls through a command box.

I’m at a loss.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Molly

45. Posted January 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Molly,
    I have just done the same thing on my Wildfire S Android phone. It looks like you have not connected your phone correctly to the computer. You need to make sure you have the USB Driver package installed – go back to the SDK manager and install it, then try again.

46. Gopa
    Posted January 14, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

It worked like a charm on my Wildfire S.
    However, I’m just a bit curious ’cause I have Gingerbread installed on my phone but I couldn’t see the USB Storage tab in my application manager. Not that it’s a problem, however so, any comments?

47. Jerome
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

when i get in the command window i’m able to get up to step 6 but once i’ve entered the “adb shell” i try the following and here’s what I see:
    “””
    $ [update]
    [update]
    d: permission denied
    $
    “””
    And every time i try it gives me the permission denied .
    What should i do??

(Spec: android 2.2, default system, PC win XP)

48. Sonry
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Working great for my Galaxy W. Thanks for this guide! :D

49. Posted January 18, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Work OK! Thanks!

After fallow the steps, the app2sd show me all the applications to move (the availables apps)

Thanks again!

50. Jerome
    Posted January 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Found my problem just needed to replace the $ as if i read “[update]” and the work is done thanks seems to work great

51. Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

@All: I updated the guide slightly to make it a bit easier to follow, added command window screenshot and troubleshooting section.

52. Booga
    Posted January 21, 2012 at 3:40 am | Permalink

This does work, but finally after a lot of hassle it only actually allowed me to move 1 app over. I guess I have already moved all that could be moved.
    Just as an aside at the ‘adb shell’ stage I got a $ symbol rather than a #, still worked ok if you just ignored and put in what is described above leaving the $ instead of #.
    Thanks

53. Arash
    Posted January 21, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Thank you. works like a charm!

54. Sharyn
    Posted January 21, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

After finally getting the adb.exe downloaded from the android developers website (I had an issue with Administrator access and did not realise it for ages), I have got it to work on HTC Wildfire S. Was disappointed that I could not shift Maps and Facebook and because I had actually dumped out alot of my extra apps beforehand, my internal space did not actually go up much – only to 32mb, however, do feel alot more confident to start using my 16gb sd now which is good. Haven’t messed around with a dos prompt in ages, so doing this took me back to uni days! Thanks, am glad that I followed your instructions and have not tried to root the system instead.

55. alexander
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 12:58 am | Permalink

i make all steps, at the final, i see all my apps is checked or moved before with APP2SD
    can i move OTHER apps from root ?

56. girl
    Posted January 24, 2012 at 3:47 am | Permalink

thanks for everything..it works…keep up the good work…

57. YichengLu
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 1:18 am | Permalink

does this work for Galaxy Nexus?
    when I use “adb devices”, it comes out with List of devices attached, but nothing listed.
    what is the problem?
    Your advice is highly appreciated!
    Many thanks in advance!
    Best regards,

58. Paolo
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I used the Linux SDK and had to run ./android to install adb, but after that all worked fine and smooth on Acer Liquid/Froyo. Thanks!

59. Toinou
    Posted January 28, 2012 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Working!

60. Ralph
    Posted January 28, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Works but I had to install HTC Sync. Thank you!

61. Thomas
    Posted January 29, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

I do not understand; I have downloaded “android-sdk_r16-windows,” unzipped, renamed folder to “sdk,”and ran SDK/AVD Manager to download and install the nonexistent “Android SDK platform-tools” yet neither the platform-tools nor the adb file exist on my computer.

Any ideas?

62. Raj
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 5:41 am | Permalink

Hi,
    I tried this myself but could not succeed.
    This is what i did. Please correct me if I missed anything:
    I downloaded the SDK and platform tools, (No JRE installed). In cmd, I am unable to get the device (adb devices does not list any device). I am using a Lenovo A60.
    I installed the modem driver for the phone. – did not work
    I also tried adb drivers too. – still not working. But other applications like software suit can communicate with the phone. I am confused! what am I doing wrong?
    Help please!

63. Joey
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 7:53 am | Permalink

I managed to get to the 7th step, everything was exactly as on that picture, until I typed pm setInstallLocation 2. It saied “Error: unknown command setInstallLocation” and gave me huge list of commands, what should I do?

64. Posted January 31, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any suggestions for inexperienced blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

65. Shripad
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Hi Sergey,

Thanks a lot for the tip. With your precise description I was able to move memory hogging apps to sd card (nexus one).

Thanks again … good work !

Shripad

66. Posted February 2, 2012 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Can this still be done with all the updates being brought out?

67. HARIKRISHNA
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 6:05 am | Permalink

This worked ..just want to ask how to root the device to delete the original apk from /system/app

68. Eric
    Posted February 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Sergey,

Excellent! Was down to less than 20mb on my LG Optimus P500 – even using ‘App 2 SD Pro’, used your method and I’m back up to 51mb!

Thanks for posting.

69. eLuB
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

God bless you more.. thank you very very much…. my low internal phone storage problem was gone.. Wow!!! at last i found the answer!!!

70. El Cid
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

It requires you download the JDK, too, and I’m new on droid, any advice/

41 Trackbacks