How to move almost all Android apps to SD card (no root required)

[Update – May 2013] To see whether this procedure may work on your phone, check out the new post [Follow up] List of phones that work with “How to move almost all apps to SD card” procedure and comments to this post. Please note that this procedure does NOT work on the best selling Samsung Galaxy S3. [/Update]

[Update – March 2013] To help fellow Android users know whether this procedure will work on their phone, please submit this anonymous form (link: Google Forms) indicating whether it worked for you. Thanks! [/Update]

One of the most anticipated additions to Android 2.2 (aka Froyo) was ability to install applications to SD card, because it helps to free internal memory. When internal phone memory gets full, Android users have two problems: 1) users can’t install any more apps and 2) phone starts working slowly. The slow down is caused by the lower speed of disk write operations to the internal memory (see this post for more information on this topic), but the bottom line is that having low available space in the internal memory is not desirable.

So what should a user do when Android phone is running out of internal memory? Uninstalling rarely used apps is an obvious and easiest solution. Moving apps that support Froyo’s apps2sd feature to SD card is another option. However, for this feature to work developers need to enable apps2sd in their apps and unfortunately many large apps still do not support it.

It turns out there is a hack that lets you move almost any Android app to SD card, even if the app developer did not enable this option. And the best part: obtaining root is not required for this to work. More about this hack below, but first let’s take look at the limitations of the Android apps2sd feature.

Apps2sd limitations

Apps2sd functionality is a step in the right direction. However, the way it is implemented creates some restrictions which you should know about:

• When an app is moved to SD card, portion of that app still remains in the internal phone memory. On average, you can expect that application’s footprint in the phone memory will be reduced by a factor of 2. Note that for some apps the move will save less than 50%, e.g. Google Earth size in the internal memory reduces from 20.5 MB to 15MB, Adobe Flash Player 10.1 – from 12.4 MB to 8 MB.
  • If you use an app widget on your home screen, this app should not be moved to SD card, because the widget will stop working.
  • Android OS doesn’t have any batch tools to move all movable apps to SD card at once. You will need to manually move one app at a time by going through the list of installed apps in Settings->Applications->Manage Applications.
  • System apps such as Maps and Youtube cannot be moved to SD card using stock firmware on unrooted phone. On some phones Adobe Flash Player is pre-installed as a system app and also cannot be moved. Providers may also install bloatware as system apps, which also cannot be moved on unrooted phone. However, on a rooted phone system apps can be deleted or moved – see FAQ for details.
  • If you re-flash phone’s firmware, some backup applications may not restore your apps to SD card, but will restore them to the phone memory.

Despite these restrictions, moving apps to SD card is a good way to free up internal phone memory and speed up your Android phone.

Moving (almost) all Android apps to SD card

To run commands which will enable Move to SD card button for most installed apps, you need to have adb executable on your computer. Adb stands for Android Debug Bridge and is used for Android software development, but it is a very useful tool to have for any advanced Android user. You do not need to have a rooted phone to run adb commands.

1. To download the latest version of Android SDK (which includes adb executable), follow instructions from step 2 in the Installing the SDK article from the official Android development site. Note: you do not need to install any other software such as Eclipse for this procedure.
  2. After downloading the archive of the SDK, unzip it to any folder and remember its location (let’s call this folder <sdk>).
  3. If you are installing Android SDK on Windows machine, you also need to install USB driver as described in USB driver for Windows section.
  4. Connect the phone using USB cable and do not enable USB storage mode. Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.
  5. Start terminal window on your computer (on Windows: click Start, type “cmd” and press Enter).
  6. In the terminal window, navigate to folder containing file named “adb” (<sdk>\platform-tools folder) using this command: cd “full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” (replace “full-path-to-sdk-platform-tools” with an actual path as shown in the screenshot below).
  7. Type the following lines (case sensitive) in the terminal window and press Enter after each line:
    • adb devices
      • This checks that the phone is connected and is in the correct mode. You should see one entry in the list of the attached devices. If you get “device not found” error, see Troubleshooting section below.
    • adb shell
      • If you get “cannot find file” error and are using Mac or Linux, instead type: ./adb shell
    • pm set-install-location 2
      • (If this command doesn’t work try using the “old” command: pm setInstallLocation 2. Thanks to polosco for the tip.)
    • exit

Command prompt commands on Windows

8. Now on your phone go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications.
    • If you have Android 2.3 or later, click on USB Storage tab (may be called SD card). This tab shows a list of apps that either can be installed to SD card or are already on SD card. The ones that have checkbox on the right side are already moved to SD card (credit to Michael Scully for the tip).
    • On Android 2.2 and earlier if you don’s see USB Storage or SD Card tab, click on All tab.
    • Android USB storage tab

9. Press hardware Menu button and select Sort by Size.
  10. Tap on each app that is taking significant amount of space and tap Move to SD card button. Press hardware Back button and repeat.
  11. (optional) To change the default installation location for new apps back to the internal phone memory,  go back to your terminal window and type:
    • pm setInstallLocation 0
  12. (important) Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and disable USB debugging. Leaving USB debugging enabled makes your phone vulnerable (e.g. lock pattern can be reset).
  13. Enjoy!
Moving Android Adobe Flash player 10.1 to SD card (apps2sd)

Moving Android Adobe Flash player 10.1 to SD card (apps2sd)

Share your experience (optional, but greatly appreciated)

To help fellow Android users know whether this procedure will work on their phone, please submit this form (link: Google Forms) indicating whether it worked for you or not. Once sufficient number of responses is submitted, I will update this post with the results.

Troubleshooting

• “Device not found” error in step 7. Make sure that the phone is connected and is in the USB debugging mode (step 4). On Windows, this error can also mean the driver is not installed properly. Double check that you followed USB driver for Windows steps. If you still are getting this error, try installing a driver for your manufacturer from this link:  Tether “ADB” Driver Installation for Windows.
  • “Permission denied” error: make sure that you correctly typed commands.

FAQ

• Q: Does my phone need to be rooted for this hack to work?
    • A: No.
  • Q: Do I need to setup a full development environment (Java, Eclipse) for this to work?
    • A: No.
  • Q: Can I move systems apps such as Maps, Youtube, Adobe Flash Player to SD card?
    • A: On unrooted phone using stock firmware, no.
  • Q: I don’t have time for this hack. How can I check which of my installed apps officially support moving to SD card?
    • Install “App 2 SD” application from Android Market and it will list applications for which developers enabled apps2sd support.
  • Q: Can I move all apps to SD card in one operation?
    • A: Using stock firmware, no. If you know a way to do so, please let me know in the comments.
  • Q: Can I delete bloatware apps installed as “system apps” by the carriers?
    • Yes, but only if you root your device. With a rooted phone you could delete unused system apps, but it gets a bit complicated. Deleting some apps may cause problems with subsequent OS updates, so you should be careful. See this list for Android system apps can be safely removed. Instead of deleting, you can “freeze” unused system apps using Titanium Backup. Freezing an app will remove it from the app drawer and memory and will make sure it is never launched, but it will not free any space in the internal phone storage.
  • Q: Can I move system apps such as Gmail, Google Maps to SD card on a rooted phone?
    • A: Thanks to Dominique Tardif for this tip: “You have first to uninstall any updates to the system apps in question. Second, using a rooted file manager, delete the original apk from /system/app (android keeps the system app apart from the updates, the latter being at /data/apps). Once this is done, reboot and reinstall the app from the market. It will be installed as a user app and as such will be movable to the sd card. As an example, my gmail, facebook, maps etc. are all on my sd card now.”
  • Q: Can I move system apps to SD card if I’m using a custom ROM?
    • A: Yes. The most popular “aftermarket” Android firmware CyanogenMod puts the absolute minimum of the apps in the system folder. CyanogenMod 7 also by default enables the hack described in this post to allow most apps to be movable to SD card. As a result, many Android apps such as Maps, Youtube, Gmail can be moved to SD card on CyanogenMod 7, while they are unmovable to SD in the stock firmware. Note that to install CyanogenMod the phone doesn’t need to be rooted, but bootloader needs to be unlocked.

Source: XDA-developers.

Related posts

0saves
If you enjoyed this post, you can subscribe to the RSS feed or follow via Twitter and Facebook.
This entry was posted in Android, Apps, CyanogenMod, FroYo, Gingerbread, How To. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

83 Comments

1. Alex
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

hello, i have tried adb shell but it’s not working?
    and also, when i downloaded the adb pack it says it’s called adt, so first off i typed in adt-bundle-windows-x86-20130219\sdk\plaform-tools and then from there when i tried to type “adb shell”its not working, i even tried adt shell and its still not working…..

2. Tiago
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

It works just fine, you guys are ninjas!!! :)

3. mihi
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 2:04 am | Permalink

Sony Ericsson oficial ICS 4.0.4 on Xperia Pro – rooted

i did it on the Terminal Emulator:

first command:

>su

to get Super User rights for Terminal Emulator

second command:

>pm set-install-location 2

then:

>exit

closed Terminal Emulator, rebooted phone and “Move to SD” button was active for most of the apps.

Thanks

4. Posted March 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

To see whether this procedure may work on your phone, check out this spreadsheet:

Did “How to move almost all Android apps to SD card” work?

It contains reports from other users on whether they had success with this procedure. To search for your phone model, select Edit -> Search and Replace.

5. Dave
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks, this is really great! It worked flawless on my Samsung Galaxy Y. I had some big apps on my phone, which couldn’t be moved to SD card, but now I was finally able to move them. It saves me a lot of memory and speed!

6. Christopher Musante
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Works fine on the ZTE 990G – only sticker was that when connecting the phone to the PC – it wants to install it’s own USB Driver instead of the one’s you have listed on the tutorial.

I was unable to get the adb session to see my device – though no errors were given either. After installing both of the USB drivers from your site – I tried the one that the ZTE was attempting to load as it connected and it worked like a charm – except it really didn’t seem to make a difference.

New applications that were installed still were installed on internal memory – some of which could be moved using Move2SD… Maybe I missed something.

7. Steve
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Hey bud, thanks much for the tips. :)

8. jenno
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 7:01 am | Permalink

hi there. i have followed the above procedure hoping to enable this on a htc wildfire s using windows. i have become stuck at stage 6 after pressing start typing cmd i have a terminal window that consists of

c:\user\user>

i would apreciate been told what i am doing wrong. thank you for your time and effort

9. darky
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

hi there

is this work with samsung galaxy s duos?

10. Clark
    Posted March 24, 2013 at 4:39 am | Permalink

I am using Samsung Galaxy S Duos. I have bought it a week ago. I have two questions regarding the above method.

1) If i follow all the above steps for moving the apps to sd then, whether i will loose the warranty of my phone?

2) After doing this steps successfully whether there will be any problem during firmware update using kies?

Please reply for my above two questions

Thanks in advance

11. Natsu Dragneel
    Posted March 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Good method! But method might vary according to model. I needed to combine shell and location 2 after devices for my adb cmd. Overall, useful and easy method.

12. Jovell
    Posted March 27, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

when i enter adb shell it says “error: device not found” then i try another way adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2 its the same error. btw. im using galaxy y. i read that its working, but i tried this many times and thats the result. please help me guys. T_T

13. Posted March 27, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d
    ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest
    writing a blog article or vice-versa? My blog discusses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I feel we could
    greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Awesome blog by the way!

14. Rajkhowa
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 3:41 am | Permalink

Excellent….worked like a charm on my Galaxy Ace…I was a little apprehensive to start with…but you have saved my day !!…keep up the good work…

15. Sathya
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Dude,

I Am using Sony Xperia Neo L,

I enabled root access in that to install adaware, link2SD apps and other font, after this System updates are not installing and mobile became too slow, like it takes 20 -30 sec to open contacts or call logs more than a minute to open gallery with 100+ images, i uninstalled many apps and freed internal memory but no use, is this is because i enabled root? and how can i disable it again.

can anybody help me this regard please….

16. Niall O Donnell
    Posted March 29, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink

I don’t have the option “move to sd card” in my apps section of settings. I’m using ICS 4.0.3 Huawei Ascend G300? Any help?

17. Sridhar
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Hi Guys!
    Does anyone has the experence in trying out with ZYNC (Z-930) tablet. Kindly share.

18. kokato
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 8:37 am | Permalink

when i write adb device it shows android variables
    adb trace
    by the way im using samsung galaxy tab 2 GTP3113

19. kae
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Hi there,

HTC salsa
    I did this the first time it worked, but only allowed downloads app to be move to SD
    After i reset my phone i need to do this again. this is where i get stuck

after adb devices, cmd replied : List of devices attached”
    But none of my phone seriel number appeared. hence i cannot move to next step

could your please help?

20. Iqbal Zain
    Posted April 1, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Thanks man! it works flawlessly.
    the best approach to avoid rooting ur phone

21. Angelo
    Posted April 4, 2013 at 7:37 am | Permalink

hi, I’ve got some questions just to make sure,

Will the whole app move in the sd card or some part of it will be left in the internal memory?
    Can I still transfer files between my phone and computer?
    If I install a new app, will the sd card be the default location?

22. shahzeb
    Posted April 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

all done successfully,,,after that it shows pm set to install location 2
    but my phone is still install apps to my internal storage…i m using samsung galaxy grand …please tell me the way of moving apps to sd card without root my phone because it spoils my warranty.

23. dhanushka
    Posted April 5, 2013 at 6:46 am | Permalink

But some apps can not move!

24. jorge
    Posted April 5, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

how can I add a phone to the spreadsheet? worked like a charm in Motorola Defy Mini (Telcel-mx)

25. xuwen
    Posted April 7, 2013 at 3:12 am | Permalink

Works perfectly. There is usually a part of the apps still remaining on phone memory, variable from 10% to 50%, but it allows apps not movable by AppMgr to be moved, so really a life saver in that sense. Any enhancement on that front?

Using Samsung Galaxy Ace running 4.2.2.

26. Juliana Luciano
    Posted April 7, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Please help me. I’ve tried everything and nothing above describes the right.

27. Juliana Luciano
    Posted April 7, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

My cell phone is the Galaxy Y DuosGT-S6102B, where I noted in the table that works perfectly. Use the windows 8. I tried this above, but nothing worked, please help me.

28. Posted April 7, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts in this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this site. Studying this information So i’m happy to show that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I most definitely will make sure to do not disregard this site and provides it a look regularly.

29. Posted April 8, 2013 at 3:37 am | Permalink

I just purchased my Samsung galaxy s3 from att. My s2 was able to move apps to sd or at least it looked that way. The s2 ran ics the s3 is on jellybean. Will this work with my s3 or any app out there that you know of.

Bill Harlow

30. Posted April 9, 2013 at 5:20 am | Permalink

A warning (copied from howtogeek)

Some apps shouldn’t be installed to your SD card and should remain installed on the internal storage. The external storage is unavailable when your Android device is mounted on your computer, so apps that remain running all the time should be left on your internal storage. Widgets, launchers, animated wallpapers, and anything you want to use while your Android’s SD card is mounted on your computer should be left on the internal storage.

31. Osvaldo
    Posted April 9, 2013 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Genial.. me funciono sin problemas en un Samsung Ace.. muchas gracias al que se tomo el tiempo de hacer este manual..

Saludos.

32. Chaitanya Bhanose
    Posted April 9, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

It works on Samsung Galaxy Y Pro (GT-B5512)

33. Ernie
    Posted April 10, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Worked for HTC Wildfire S with Android 2.3.4

• Anthony Guter
      Posted May 7, 2013 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Thanks so much. Worked fine on my Galaxy Ace. Samsung Apps, which can now “see” 60mb free still complains that there is not enough memory for it to work but I guess that shows how crap this particular app is.

34. Posted April 10, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I am sure this article has touched all the internet people, its really really nice paragraph
    on building up new web site.

35. Murthy
    Posted April 11, 2013 at 12:25 am | Permalink

This worked on my HTC Explorer……..Thanks dude….

• Harish
      Posted April 12, 2013 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Im also using Htc explorer.. Hw did u done it.. plz help me

• Murthy
        Posted April 16, 2013 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Just simply follow above procedure, thats it. Nothing else. Everything you get as shown above.

• Posted May 6, 2014 at 12:00 am | Permalink

use the moborobo android for pc..

• krishna kumar
      Posted June 26, 2013 at 5:47 am | Permalink

bro.i get this in the 7th step when I type adb devices on my explorer :/
      “adb server is out of date. killing
      ADB server didn’t ACK
      * failed to start daemon *
      error: “

36. pooja singh
    Posted April 11, 2013 at 3:03 am | Permalink

Thanks for the tip
    It worked well on my samsung galaxy fit!

37. cesar lopez
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Alcatel ot 918 Firmware 2.3.6 Kernel Version 2.6.35.7 GingerBread, give the option to move to sd card, Whatsapp and google play services, thanks. and my internal strorage up to 31MB was 19mb
    and the up to 37 was about the same 20 or 19 mb … :)

38. bacho
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Works on motorola defy mini x320 with pm setInstallLocation 2

39. Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Paragraph writing is also a fun, if you be acquainted with then you can
    write or else it is complicated to write.

40. Arunangshu Halder
    Posted April 18, 2013 at 4:32 am | Permalink

Thanks a ton,

It works perfectly with Samsung galaxy Y.
    Can you please guide how to set application data path to SD card instead of internal memory ?

Arunangshu

• Saugata Roy
      Posted May 18, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Its application data path already set to SD card when you typed set-install-location 2.
      It also worked in my galaxy Y duo.
      but in my phone, I have moved almost all apps to SD card, almost 50 apps. still free space in phone memory is like 35-40 mb. previously it was 18 mb.

41. rohit verma
    Posted April 19, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

It really work thank you very very very very very very much.

42. Akshit
    Posted April 21, 2013 at 2:23 am | Permalink

I have Spice Stellar Mi-425 with Android 2.3 and it has almost no Internal storage (only 200MB)

After the “adb device” command, it doesn’t show my device in the list.

What can I do to solve my problem?

43. Posted April 21, 2013 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Hi dude as I am using a Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 & in that device the internal memory is very low I can’t even install more then 4 apps it’ll
    start remaining me your internal memory is getting very low so can u please let me that how I can I move my apps to SD card without rooting ……..

44. jayesh
    Posted April 21, 2013 at 3:54 am | Permalink

its not working on my phone samsung galaxy s duos gt-s7562…i hv followed all the step as instructed bt its nt working plz help me out

try your software on s duos and plz help me

thanks buddy

45. John Dyson
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Worked on my Sumvision Cyclone Voyager BT. But had to install driver from

The tablet then appeared in devices but adb still would not see it so

And then add my device 0x2207 to the ini file

Thanks

John

46. john ivan pocdol
    Posted April 22, 2013 at 9:05 am | Permalink

it can be work in cloudfone ?

47. chirag
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Hi,
    i have just rooted my galaxy ace 5830i,
    can i delete default app “samsumg apps”?
    its system application, and not able to move using titanium,
    i want to delete and reinstall on sd,

i have done same thing with google play store and reinstall on sd but now it is not working and it needs to force close always,

i have stock rom on my ace.

48. rox1smf
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I have the HTC T-Mobile “MyTouch 4G”. I got to the adb device command and it found nothing, so it’s not working :( I can’t believe the internal storage is so small and you can’t move some of the biggest apps to the SD card. HTC, you suck.

• ahmad
      Posted May 28, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

you need to install java app on your OS in order to get your device recognized

49. fa
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

didn’t work on huawei ascend y300-0100 running android 4.1.

50. rahul
    Posted April 25, 2013 at 12:22 am | Permalink

it says permission denied

51. Laynnox
    Posted April 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

THANKS!
    It worked like a charm in my samsung galaxy y. And now I can ACTUALLY get to use the 32gb sd card that i bought.

52. Louise
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 1:06 am | Permalink

for samsung download first the usb driver of the phone then restart it and use the step given above .
    thnx a lot ^_^ it really work on galaxy y S5360
    please create more of those so that the people can use their phone efficiently pleeeeeaaaasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee^_^
    tnx

53. Daniel
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 3:18 am | Permalink

i have “the adb is not recognized as an internal or external command”

please help me i do everything

54. Jakub
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 4:37 am | Permalink

can i move to sdcard Google chrome (+- 60Mb) with unrooted phone? xperia mini pro
    thx

55. jitu
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

does it works in galaxy grand??

56. arjun
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

does it work on galaxy grand gt 19802?/ plz reply

• ahmad
      Posted May 28, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

yes it is
      actually it dose work on any android system :)

57. Chetan M.P
    Posted April 28, 2013 at 3:38 am | Permalink

after typing adb shell it is showing “shell@android:/ $” please help me, it is connected to the pc now…

58. Juan Pablo
    Posted April 28, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

It worked! Not for all applications but it left enough space for more applications.
    Tks
    Samsung Ace GT-S5830

59. sabarinath
    Posted April 29, 2013 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

am using micromax a116 canvas HD .only 1.77 gb is available as internal memory and apps can be only moved to internal memory not to SD card.so memory gets full very fast .so by doing this process can i be able to move apps to sd?? please reply thanks in advance.or mail me at sabarigiri90@gmail.com

60. afra
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

u are amazing man just amazing ! know why ? becuase u are amazing ! :)))

work like char mand wooow app that dont allow like vhat on are moving like 15 mg of apk to sd .

61. afra
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink

everybody attention fit u should have adb working !

and pay attention type instruction like this pm setInstallLocation .. use capital for i and for L

62. Ben
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Hi! The problem with my Samsug galaxy gt-s 5570 (Android 2.3.4) is that (even if the PC properly recognize the phone as (E:) the command windows says: absolutely nothing! When I write: adb devices

I see: List of devices attached —> EMPTY

Anyway, even if this doesn’t work (and it drives me crazy), thanks for your blogpost.

• T
      Posted May 1, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Everything works apart from, when I moved the apps to the SD card, the internal memory storage remains the same. Its like as if it’s installing to both – have I missed a step?

All the apps show up that they are installed on the SD card, but yet I only have 20mb free on the phone.

• ahmad
      Posted May 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink
  63. Posted May 2, 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink

thanks 4 this apps.
    moving apps to SD card is a good way to free up internal phone memory and speed up my phone.

64. Brian Guy
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 6:45 am | Permalink

When installing the Android SDK in Windows, you’ll be prompted to install a JDK. For JDK 1.7.21 (aka 7u21), make sure you install the (x86) version even on an (x64) machine, as the SDK installer will only recognize that package as valid and permit SDK installation to proceed. (This may not hold on earlier or subsequent versions of the JDK, but is true for 1.7.21.)

65. Posted May 2, 2013 at 7:52 am | Permalink

As far as I can tell, this just doesn’t work on S3 as already said. Seems like Samsung has changed how that works on its custom ROM, but I couldn’t find more info on that.

As for anyone else to which this DOES work, beware. There’s a dangerous caveat here!

Quoting http://droid-den.com/android-guides/android-guide-force-apps-to-the-sd-card-without-rooting-a2sd/
    > There was actually a reason behind google not installing all apps to the sdcard by default. That reason is because some apps will not work properly if they are installed on the sd card. You need to be aware of this because if you don’t know, then those apps will start to break and malfunction. Apps that fall into this category are those that require a background service running all times, and ALL widgets.
    > So, twitter, instant messages, any app with a widget and also launcher replacements hyave to be manually moved back to the internal memory, or they will break. So, just the same way as you used to move apps to the sd card, simply do the opposite and move the apps similar to what I have described back to the internal memory.

66. sparjan
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Hi…thanks for the great trick… its perfectly worked on my Galaxy Y (GTS5360). But my question is that..
    1.now i want to root my phone so should i change the default location to 0 with this command ” pm setInstallLocation 0 ”

67. venkatesh apuri
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

hi sir,

am using xperia ray with ics when i hit adb shell in cmd prompt it asks for android id whats it…?

68. priyanka
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 6:23 am | Permalink

I GOT ERROR LIKE THIS PLS HELP ME
    C:\Documents and Settings\PRIYANKA>cd “C:\Documents and Settings\PRIYANKA\sdk\ad
    t-bundle-windows-x86-20130219\sdk\platform-tools”

C:\Documents and Settings\PRIYANKA\sdk\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20130219\sdk\platf
    orm-tools>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    425839303246414B4C4E device

orm-tools>adb shell
    $ pm setinstallLocation 2
    pm setinstallLocation 2
    Error: unknown command ‘setinstallLocation’

• yogi
      Posted May 6, 2013 at 6:58 am | Permalink

instead of pm setinstallLocation 2 type this pm set-install-location 2

• napster
      Posted May 7, 2013 at 1:25 am | Permalink

hi priyanka, try this one.it workd for me

pm setInstallLocation 2

take care of the capital word, it should work..

• RobiLiam
      Posted May 25, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Hi Priyanka,
      This is what I used on my Alcatel 985D and it worked fine:
      $ pm setInstallLocation 2
      as said above use capitol letters for the I in install and L in location so
      pm set(capitol I)nstall(capitol L)ocation 2
      I hope this helps and many thanks to Sergey for the info…..

2 Trackbacks

1. By Newcomer with "new old" phone - Android Forums on April 1, 2013 at 9:49 am

[…] see, the problem is that while some applications will happily install directly to the SSD (after a workaround), other applications insist on installing to the built-in RAM, after which I can move them to the […]

2. […] http://www.bongizmo.com/blog/moving-all-android-apps-to-sdcard-apps2sd-froyo/comment-page-11/ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Tags: android phone, phone apps […]