[Update] Using relatively simple hack, almost all Android apps can be moved to SD card. See this post for more details: How to move all Android apps to SD card. [/Update]
One of the most anticipated Android 2.2 features is ability to install applications on SD card. Prior to Androd 2.2, official Android firmware supported application installation only to the internal phone memory, limiting number of apps that can be installed on the phone. This problem is now solved in Android 2.2, by allowing apps to be partially moved to the SD card. Developers need to enable this feature in their applications, so after you get an Android 2.2 update, pay attention to the updates of your installed apps as they become available.
Apps2sd is a brand new feature and therefore a number of apps with apps2sd support is currently small. You can use App 2 SD application to find out which of your installed apps already support this feature. The list belows contains apps with apps2sd that I either use or at least tried.
Android 2.2 apps supporting apps2sd (sorted by app size)
[Sep 27, 2010 update] This list is no longer updated as the number of apps supporting apps2sd has significantly increased.
- White Noise Lite (5.84MB, v2.3.1, Tmsoft)
- Snesoid Lite (2.95, v1.14.6, yongzh)
- Movies (2.36MB, v2.9.3, Flixter Inc.)
- Google Sky Map (1.77MB, v1.5.2, Google Inc.)
- Opera Mini (1.70MB, v5.1, Opera Software ASA)
- Springpad (1.55MB, v1.0.9, Spring Partners, Inc.)
- Abduction (1.46MB, v1.47, Psym-mobile)
- Pandora (1.24MB, v1.3, Pandora)
- WordPress (1.27MB, v1.3, Automattic, Inc)
- PicSay (1.25MB, v1.3, Shinycore)
- Shopper (1.23MB, v1.11, Google Inc.)
- Transdroid (1.14MB, v0.19.2, Eric Kok)
- Places Directory (0.98MB, v1.0.22, Google Inc.)
- Barcode scanner (0.89MB, v3.4, ZXing)
- MortPlayer Music (760KB, v0.7.21, sto-helit.de)
- Zillow (756KB, v2.0.6, Zillow.com)
- AK Notepad (716k, v2.1.1, Snaptic)
- WiFi Analyzer (564KB, v.2.4.3, farproc)
- Voice Recorder (488KB, v2.0.7, Mamoru Tokashiki)
- Q: Why should I care about this list?
- A: Applications adding support for apps2sd have a choice of either requesting to be installed to the SD card or leaving it up to the Android operating system, which will decide on the installation location (phone or SD card) based on the available internal phone memory. You may still want to manually move applications that chose the second option (leave it up to the OS) to the SD card.
- Q: How can I check which apps that are already installed on my phone can be moved to SD card?
- A: Use App 2 sd application, which lists apps that can be moved to SD card. To install it, search Android Market for “app 2 sd” (or use this download link). Manually this can be checked by going to Settings->Applications->Manage applications, selecting an application and looking for Move to SD card button. Hint: you can sort apps by size if while viewing apps list you click Menu button and select Sort by Size.